Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RRD-PRO dead?

RRD-PRO dead?

I installed an RRD-PRO last year for a chandelier (and nothing else) and it has been working fine. Today I noticed that the LEDs on the dimmer were blinking randomly, which I think means the wiring is wrong. Nothing changed but the bulbs in the chandelier were recently (2 weeks ago) changed. Before I took the dimmer out to check the wiring, I checked the bulbs (which are LED bulbs, for what it's worth) since that's the only thing that changed recently. I noticed that the socket for one was very close to touching the metal housing around it. I touched the bulb and it sparked and the dimmer went out, obviously shorting out, but the breaker did not trip. I assume that when the bulb was replaced, it was tightened enough to move the socket too close to its housing. Now the dimmer doesn't work at all -- no green LEDs light up at all. I took it out and replaced it with a spare Maestro MA-600 that I had. The chandelier works fine now. Did the RRD-PRO get fried? Is it possible to test the RRD-PRO, with a multimeter for example, to see if it's dead without putting it into another circuit to test it?Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TroyH View Post
    I installed an RRD-PRO last year for a chandelier (and nothing else) and it has been working fine. Today I noticed that the LEDs on the dimmer were blinking randomly, which I think means the wiring is wrong. Nothing changed but the bulbs in the chandelier were recently (2 weeks ago) changed. Before I took the dimmer out to check the wiring, I checked the bulbs (which are LED bulbs, for what it's worth) since that's the only thing that changed recently. I noticed that the socket for one was very close to touching the metal housing around it. I touched the bulb and it sparked and the dimmer went out, obviously shorting out, but the breaker did not trip. I assume that when the bulb was replaced, it was tightened enough to move the socket too close to its housing. Now the dimmer doesn't work at all -- no green LEDs light up at all. I took it out and replaced it with a spare Maestro MA-600 that I had. The chandelier works fine now. Did the RRD-PRO get fried? Is it possible to test the RRD-PRO, with a multimeter for example, to see if it's dead without putting it into another circuit to test it?Thanks!
    IF the LEDs on the dimmer don't light up then it is probably dead. You can try resetting by pulling it out using the FASS. I'd give that a 1% chance of working. You could try testing the PRO with an incandescent load.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

"He's Dead Jim." Pretty much any short is the death of Lutron's dimmers. I say it's 50/50 between broken bulbs/sockets and poor or live installation of the dimmers. The only time I saw one survive was on a house that had AFCI breakers - the bootleg unlicensed electrician the AV guys had hired had put the bare ground wire really close to the blue screw and didn't put spacers behind the plate so as soon as someone pushed the plate, it pushed the dimmer in just enough to short it. I always try to advice homeowners to pull out the FAS switch on the dimmers before changing light bulbs but few ever listen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Oh, pressure washers are also bad. Had one customer pressure wash their covered outdoor kitchen and kind of go nuts with it. Shorted out the old school Wireless Homeworks Dimmers.