Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Setup question before i commit to purchase

Question Setup question before i commit to purchase

Sorry if these question has been asked but i have not been able to find it. Question 1 I am wondering if the lutron switches (Caseta) connect wirelessly to the smart bridge only and not my home network? Question 2 Can you only use 1 wall plug as an extender?Question 3 Just wondering about the range when it come to multi leveled homes.Question 4 Other than the initial setup, what is the purpose of the smart bridge being connected to the router? Can it be disconnected if you are not using a phone/tablet for lighting control?I have a lot of wireless devices on my home network and really do not want to add any more so i am hoping they are on a separate network Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flaps74 View Post
    Sorry if these question has been asked but i have not been able to find it.
    Question 1 I am wondering if the lutron switches (Caseta) connect wirelessly to the smart bridge only and not my home network?
    Question 2 Can you only use 1 wall plug as an extender?
    Question 3 Just wondering about the range when it come to multi leveled homes.
    Question 4 Other than the initial setup, what is the purpose of the smart bridge being connected to the router? Can it be disconnected if you are not using a phone/tablet for lighting control? I have a lot of wireless devices on my home network and really do not want to add any more so i am hoping they are on a separate network Thanks
    1. Yes. Lutron uses it's own proprietary system called Clear Connect. It operates well below the crowded WiFi range .

2. Yes. However, there is a repeater that can also be used.

3. Lutron's range numbers are somewhat conservative. It depends on the construction and layout of the house.

4. Lutron randomly pushes updates to the bridge. Connecting to the Internet also allows you remote access, geofencing, etc. You have to be connected to the Internet for Apple, Alexa, et. al. to interface with Caseta.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com