Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lutron Wireless Switch/Phillips Hue/LIFX

Lutron Wireless Switch/Phillips Hue/LIFX

I am new to the lutron caseta wireless world and my wife and I love the look of these switches. I just found out after replacing some GE zwave paddle switches that my Phillip Hue lights do not work when they are connected to the caseta dimmer switch or on/off switch. I did find out that if I have 1 normal dimmer LED bulb connected and the rest Hue BR30 bulbs connected that I can turn on and off all the bulbs with the caseta and pico switches/remotes; however, I don't want to mix a standard Phillips dimmer led with my Phillips hue Led bulbs.

Have any of you had any experience or luck with getting hue A19 or BR30 LED bulbs to work with any of the caseta wireless switches? Also, if hue doesn't work will LIFX work or any other color changing bulbs?

Lutron Technical Support
    Unfortunately, the Caseta controls won't work with the Philips Hue bulbs.

You are not supposed to connect any "smart bulbs" (Hue, LIFX, and so on) to a dimmer. They are intended to be always switched on - and if there is on-wall switch, you just bypass that.

You can also try this. If it works, great...
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

This is a big need for me. I want to turn on a bank of Hue lights to their previous color and brightness setting with a Lutron Caseta on/off switch (not dimmer) or Pico remote. I can turn off, then on, the hue bulbs, but they "forget" where they were set and go on to full bright white. If the Pico could talk to the Hue hub via the lutron hub, that would be perfect. Pico would then tell Hue, "turn on this scene". This is really the one thing that is preventing your users from integrating Hue with Lutron, and is a BIG hole in functionality.

Perhaps the Pico remote could send a trigger to Apple HomeKit if not Hue hub? Any known solution or hack for this problem???

Thanks!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Unfortunately, the Caseta controls won't work with the Philips Hue bulbs.

lutron wireless switch model

Quote Originally Posted by mherron View Post
    This is a big need for me. I want to turn on a bank of Hue lights to their previous color and brightness setting with a Lutron Caseta on/off switch (not dimmer) or Pico remote. I can turn off, then on, the hue bulbs, but they "forget" where they were set and go on to full bright white. If the Pico could talk to the Hue hub via the lutron hub, that would be perfect. Pico would then tell Hue, "turn on this scene". This is really the one thing that is preventing your users from integrating Hue with Lutron, and is a BIG hole in functionality.

Perhaps the Pico remote could send a trigger to Apple HomeKit if not Hue hub? Any known solution or hack for this problem???

Thanks!

Matt
    Matt, what on/off lutron wireless switch model are you using to do this with? The dimmer caseta switches make my hue lights blink constantly when they are on so i had to replace my hue lights with cheap 12.99 phillip dimmer br30/a19.

It only turns on/off, no dimmer capability. Not sure which lutron model.

Quote Originally Posted by mherron View Post
    It only turns on/off, no dimmer capability. Not sure which lutron model.
    thats okay. I want a lutron smart switch that will turn on/off my Hue Lights (i dont care about the dimmer part). If you can find out the model that would be great. I know they dont work with the Caseta Wireless Dimmer switches but i am hoping you have a model that they work with :)

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgurrieri View Post
    thats okay. I want a lutron smart switch that will turn on/off my Hue Lights (i dont care about the dimmer part). If you can find out the model that would be great. I know they dont work with the Caseta Wireless Dimmer switches but i am hoping you have a model that they work with :)
    We have two "on/off" switches in the Caseta product line. The model numbers are PD-5WS-DV and PD-6ANS (neutral connection required). That being said, we have not tested these controls with the Phillips Hue bulbs and cannot guarantee performance. Hope this helps!

Take Connected Bulb Remote a step or two further

Please PLEASE create something like this to work with Lifx and Hue. The Connected Bulb Remote is close, but it needs to work reasonably seamlessly and also control both dimming and color features. In the concept image below, you could have intermediate steps between the 7 colors shown, so effectively 12-14 colors with 7 levels of dimming - almost 100 color/brightness combinations in addition to on/off. This is my gift to the world if something can please just take this and make it happen!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lutron Smart Bulb Control.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	686

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    You are not supposed to connect any "smart bulbs" (Hue, LIFX, and so on) to a dimmer. They are intended to be always switched on - and if there is on-wall switch, you just bypass that.

You can also try this. If it works, great...
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by pgthielen View Post
    Please PLEASE create something like this to work with Lifx and Hue. The Connected Bulb Remote is close, but it needs to work reasonably seamlessly and also control both dimming and color features. In the concept image below, you could have intermediate steps between the 7 colors shown, so effectively 12-14 colors with 7 levels of dimming - almost 100 color/brightness combinations in addition to on/off. This is my gift to the world if something can please just take this and make it happen!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lutron Smart Bulb Control.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	686
    Yes. YES. YES!!! Lutron, please listen. Please make this happen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast