Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Smart Bridge had a problem updating. Please unplug it and then plug it back in.

Angry Your Smart Bridge had a problem updating. Please unplug it and then plug it back in.

Just bought and plugged in a Smart Bridge (L-BDG2) per the instructions, and that is the message I get at step 4 in the iOS app's setup process. Unplug it, re-plug, try again, same thing. Seriously? 5 minutes into using this thing it's in an endless loop of uselessness?

Also, what is up with having to re-log in every time I so much as leave the app for a second? Is that the way it's supposed to work?

2. Likes kevink707 liked this post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by relemid View Post
    Just bought and plugged in a Smart Bridge (L-BDG2) per the instructions, and that is the message I get at step 4 in the iOS app's setup process. Unplug it, re-plug, try again, same thing. Seriously? 5 minutes into using this thing it's in an endless loop of uselessness?

Also, what is up with having to re-log in every time I so much as leave the app for a second? Is that the way it's supposed to work?
    I am having the same problem. Support tried to tell me my network is not working. "You can't plug it into a switch, you have to plug it into your WiFi router."

I am a network engineer and IT consultant; the network is working, as is every device connected to it, except the bridge.

Same thought about the app: I have to sign into it every time I want to use my phone as a remote control for the lights? What wizard thought that would be convenient??

The product has no configuration or diagnostics interface; we can't see what is going on with it or even test Internet connectivity on it. It doesn't work out of the box. Phone support is clueless.

Not a sellable product for us.

Added a rule in our firewall to log all outbound connections from the bridge. Here is the list of IP, ports, and protocols to which it is connecting:

50.73.144.123:123 UDP
    8.14.172.115:7443 TCP
    4.2.2.2:52 UDP (DNS server)
    107.170.224.8:123 UDP
    208.67.220.220 ICMP
    38.229.71.1:123 UDP
    4.53.160.75:123 UDP
    23.88.235.114:123 UDP

I've uploaded a filtered snip of the firewall log as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lutronbridge.JPG  

Did more digging on the allocations for those IPs. Here is the info:

50.73.144.123:123 UDP WATERFROPROPANDCLUB, Jupiter, Florida
    8.14.172.115:7443 TCP Level 3 Communications, Inc.
    4.2.2.2:52 UDP (manually configured DNS server)
    107.170.224.8:123 UDP Digital Ocean, Inc. ("Cloud" host)
    208.67.220.220 ICMP OpenDNS (seems to be checking with this DNS server regardless of its IP settings)
    38.229.71.1:123 UDP Cogent/PSINet, Inc.
    4.53.160.75:123 UDP Level 3 Communications, Inc.
    23.88.235.114:123 UDP Enzu Inc ("Cloud host")

The first one is troublesome, as it's a small 8 IP allocation to "Waterfront Properties and Club Communities"
    http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-50-73-144-120-1/pft
    http://www.waterfront-properties.com/

I'd really like to hear from Lutron why this device is making connections to what looks like a business entirely unrelated to Lutron.

DOA, useless as received.

Quote Originally Posted by binky View Post
    I am having the same problem. Support tried to tell me my network is not working. "You can't plug it into a switch, you have to plug it into your WiFi router."
    Exactly the same situation here, I'm a networking Engineer, I cannot *believe* this is useless out of the box. Also, who had the bright idea to update the FW before performing the initial setup?!? That sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Extremely disappointed with the product.

I have the same problem

I've opened up ports, but I'm damned if I will put this in the DMZ permanently. I can't see this is a good idea at all. They want this for home control and then it needs this type of access? WTF

Quote Originally Posted by ifonul View Post
    Exactly the same situation here, I'm a networking Engineer, I cannot *believe* this is useless out of the box. Also, who had the bright idea to update the FW before performing the initial setup?!? That sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Extremely disappointed with the product.

Spoke to some guy Zachary at support who sent me this email:
    "Often cable modem/router combination products that are sold by ATT U-verse, Verizon, Comcast, COX, and some other internet providers are locked down more than a standard cable modem would be. I would contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and ensure the following ports are open: 7443, 4443, 443, 8883, 1883, 123, and 22."

I have Comcast business and none of those ports are blocked for outbound connections. But why on earth would anybody open these up inbound.

Anyway, to humor them I have tried setting up static routes to the Smart Bridge - didn't work - I then tried putting it in the DMZ - didn't work.

I tried connecting to the box in the hope there was a admin screen... nope...

This totally sucks and is an absolutely useless producrt

And now there's no support people for caseta

So called back to talk to someone and was told Zach was the only Caseta support guy and he'd gone home. Now given the casetawireless site says this is available 24x7 I asked why this was published, to which I got told that it's only for an emergency with lighting.

This seems to be the worst product I've ever purchased for my home network - I mean seriously the worst.

Useless, unacceptable. The engineer that had the bright idea to do updates before setup should be fired on the spot!

Anyway, found a workaround. Network fu required.

1. Start the wizard without connecting the ethernet cable.
    2. After a try to 'add a smart bridge' (obviously failed) - or a few?, you will be presented with an option to use 'advanced options'. Tap that. And tap 'use IP address' or similar.
    3. Now you need to find your hub's IP address.
    3a. Connect the Eth wire to the bridge, wait a bit
    3b. Make note of the MAC address written on the back of the smart hub, e.g. MAC address 20:CD:xx:yy:zz:ww
    3c. Go to a computer on the same network. Type 'arp -a' and find the entry corresponding to the MAC above.[...]
    ? (192.168.1.96) at 20:cd:xx:yy:zz:ww on en1 ifscope [ethernet] -> this is the bridge's IP address
    3d. make sure you can ping this IP address: ping 192.168.1.96
    4. Enter the IP address in the dialog box on your lutron app, and voila! - past the dreaded update.

Let's see when I'll actually have to update the FW, but for now I have a working hub.

Hope this helps someone...

11. Thanks kevink707 thanked for this post
    Likes SkyAblo2000, kevink707 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyAblo2000 View Post
    This seems to be the worst product I've ever purchased for my home network - I mean seriously the worst.
    Yeah, I don't think there's much of a choice left at this point but to return it for a full refund. I'm mystified at all the online reviews I've seen, and even forum posts, where people are saying they got Siri to work - how on earth did they even set it up in the first place?!

It's ashame this is the only home automation product out there so far that supports HomeKit/Siri, since it's apparently such a piece of crap. But on the bright side, all the related Caseta products (Pico remote, wireless dimmers, etc) work with Staples Connect, and maybe some day Staples will support HomeKit. Have to hope so. What a disappointment though. Be sure to give this thing a ****** review if you bought it online; I certainly will.

13. Likes SkyAblo2000 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast