Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Smart Bridge Local Access

Caseta Smart Bridge Local Access

Hi,

Was the local access (i.e. the no need for "unnecessary" cloud connection) ever implemented for the Smart Bridge? I avoid most home automation equipment because of the ridiculous cloud component. I have yet to hear a good reason why turning on my lights from inside my house with my phone requires the command to be routed to a server on the other side of the planet. If Lutron gets this implemented properly they will have a HUGE seller on their hands!

I have been trying to get the remote Siri control working since day 1 of the homekit integration. Local control has always worked. I have been having on going cloud control issues on two different systems that work perfectly locally so based on this understanding I would say local control doesn't use the cloud.

I think you are using a different definition of local control. Local control in this sense means using the phone app to directly connect to the smart bridge (i.e. by specifying the IP address assigned on your local LAN) w/o having to login to any other site or have usernames.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk2at View Post
    I think you are using a different definition of local control. Local control in this sense means using the phone app to directly connect to the smart bridge (i.e. by specifying the IP address assigned on your local LAN) w/o having to login to any other site or have usernames.
    I believe he is saying the homekit protocol uses a local connection. Other third party integrations such as irule and control4 also use local connections.

Quote Originally Posted by az1324 View Post
    I believe he is saying the homekit protocol uses a local connection. Other third party integrations such as irule and control4 also use local connections.
    So iRule works locally? How? If the smart bridge loses Internet, how does the iRule work?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    So iRule works locally? How? If the smart bridge loses Internet, how does the iRule work?
    All third party apps connect to the bridge over local connection. No internet (was ever) necessary.

All I get is an "Unable to add new home" message when I try to set up Siri on my Lutron Homekit bridge. Any suggestions? Local control of lights without Siri works fine.