Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Random flicker with long delay

Random flicker with long delay

I have ready through many of the posts here about lights flickering with a dimmer but none seem to be quite the same as the problem I am seeing. As far as I know our lights are supposed to be compatible with the caseta switches and in general work just fine. However when the lights are dimmed maybe once every 15-30 minutes they will flicker off then on again one time almost faster than a blink of an eye. We previously had regular lutron (non caseta) dimmer switches in place that did not have this behavior to my recollection. It is mostly annoying more than anything else, and the almost random timing of it seems odd as well. I haven't yet tried adjusting the lower trim, but even if the lights are dimmed half way I see the flickering. Just once, off then on, really quick.

If your dimmer has a neutral connection you MUST use it. There are some instances where you may not need to connect the neutral but connecting it won't hurt.

Check the phase control requirements for your LEDs. If they are, for example, reverse phase and you have a forward phase dimmer, it will work for a while but the issues will get worse as the dimmer and/or drive begins to fail.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Yes, the dimmer is connected to neutral, I will double check the connection though. I will also check out the phase requirements.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello. Is the model of the dimmer that is doing this the PD-5NE? If so it may be worth checking with Lutron and call their Tech Support at 888-588-7661 to see if they have experienced any similar reports and what was used to resolve the issue.

I'm having a similar problem with PD-5NE with Satco chandelier bulbs. I called Satco customer support to confirm compatibitlity.

LED bulb companies will tell you their bulbs are compatible. They want you to buy their bulbs. Check the Lutron Compatibility Tool:https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/L...atibility.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by LED_Zapper View Post
    I'm having a similar problem with PD-5NE with Satco chandelier bulbs. I called Satco customer support to confirm compatibitlity.

The interactive compatibility tool does not support my dimmer, the PD-5NE, but it can bring up a list of Satco bulbs, and my bulb is not on that short list. The Satco bulb I'm using is SATCO S11372, a 5.5W E12 base 3000K 90CRI C11 shape chandelier bulb. Can anyone recommend a truly compatible bulb with these specs? Must be 3000K.

Have you had any luck with this one? I’ve got the same problem with all three of my PD-5NE. It’s super frustrating to troubleshoot. Two of the three have bulbs compatible with other Caseta dimmers, but as you mentioned the compatibility tool doesn’t have this model…

Similar issue

I have had a Caseta setup for about a year. It has worked great up until about 6 weeks ago when the lights randomly turn off and on with seemingly no pattern. I have not changed bulbs or anything.Has there been a firmware update or anything like that recently?It stinks when I have guests over and the lights keep randomly going out!Could the Pico remotes be dying or something?Thanks in advance!