Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Blew a bulb, blew a switch?

Blew a bulb, blew a switch?

Today I turned on my PD-5WS-DV via Alexa and the bulb blew. The bad news is that it looks like it took out my switch as well. The green light on the switch is no longer illuminated and no breaker was tripped. Is there anything else I should check?

troubleshooting

I_would_assume_nothing. Very possible there was an iffy connection somewhere in the wallbox that went south the same time you tried using it. I would open up the switchbox and check all connections- I've found more than once that a loose splice caused the problem and tightening the wirenut properly fixed the issue.

I just re-read the post. Not sure about the switch you listed, but it's possible it's a no-neutral-required device that relies on a lamp to complete the circuit required to power the switch. Replacing the lamp with a known good one should correct all of your issues. I'd start there.

Good luck

That switch needs a load (good light bulb) to function as it does not have a neutral. The caseta line is very durable, it is very unlikely the switch was damaged by the bulb blowing. Older dimmers would sometimes fry when bulbs went but I have never seen it happen with Caseta. If the bulb doesn't solve the issue call Lutron support. I am pretty sure the switches Have a 1 year warranty.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

4. Likes Sawdust, Zach R. liked this post
    I installed a new switch (that Lutron graciously provided under warranty) and had the same result. Since this switch was a 4-way setup prior to my Caseta install I tightened the connections in the other two switch boxes, though I would not characterize any of the connections as loose. After doing that the new switch worked. I then changed out the new switch for the old one and it worked!

So, I'm not really sure what happened. It’s hard to believe that the moment that the table lamp bulb blew a connection loosened in one of the boxes. It seems more likely that a loose connection blew the bulb, even though none of them seemed loose enough to cause a problem.

6. Thanks Zach R. thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    I_would_assume_nothing. Very possible there was an iffy connection somewhere in the wallbox that went south the same time you tried using it. I would open up the switchbox and check all connections- I've found more than once that a loose splice caused the problem and tightening the wirenut properly fixed the issue.

I just re-read the post. Not sure about the switch you listed, but it's possible it's a no-neutral-required device that relies on a lamp to complete the circuit required to power the switch. Replacing the lamp with a known good one should correct all of your issues. I'd start there.

Good luck
    Thank you for this suggestion-I also just noticed one of my Lutron switches appeared to have died (no LEDs) and was about to open up everything to check-but now I'll just replace the bulbs first to test!

Update-in my case replacing the bulb with a Caseta certified bulb reactivated my Lutron switch and is working again!

9. Likes Zach R. liked this post