Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windows XP and 8.0

Windows XP and 8.0

I see XP isn't supported in 8.0. Does this mean it doesn't work, or does it work but your results may vary? I use a Mac with Parallels and enjoy having XP (since ultra-irritatingly Lutron is stuck in the 90s and early 00s and doesn't have a Mac authoring package!) because it is a light-weight OS.

I'll answer my own question: It just means Lutron doesn't support XP. I updated firmware and transferred programming tonight from XP.

I very much hope XP continues to work.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Since Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows XP we are no longer testing our software releases with this version of Windows. Since we are no longer testing the software for use on Windows XP we cannot guarantee that future releases of the software will continue to work on this version of Windows. We would recommend looking at what options you have available for upgrading to a version of Windows that is still being supported

Thanks for the clarification, and I am glad it works. It would just cost a couple hundred bucks plus more bloated software that isn't needed.

I still would highly recommend a Mac version, as I know a number of RadioRA2 folks (actually the majority I know) that primarily use Macs. These are becoming more and more common, especially in the high-end home development market.

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    I still would highly recommend a Mac version, as I know a number of RadioRA2 folks (actually the majority I know) that primarily use Macs. These are becoming more and more common, especially in the high-end home development market.
    I second that, but obviously a big process to redevelop the entire application

Thanks for the clarification, and I am glad it works. It would just cost a couple hundred bucks plus more bloated software that isn't needed.

I was on the same camp at first, sticking with XP for years, but calling new versions of Windows 8 bloated would be like saying you don't need Lutron RadioRA2 light switches and regular switches work just fine. Which I guess is fine but for those who are at least somewhat tech savvy (and hence wanting home automation), you really ought to give Windows a try. Sure, 8.1 takes some getting used to, but the tech in the OS is superior and robust. I mean, XP came out before Wi-Fi networks became commonplace (802.11b at 11Mbps at best), and Wi-Fi I hear was just hacked onto XP.

Quote Originally Posted by geofry View Post
    I was on the same camp at first, sticking with XP for years, but calling new versions of Windows 8 bloated would be like saying you don't need Lutron RadioRA2 light switches and regular switches work just fine. Which I guess is fine but for those who are at least somewhat tech savvy (and hence wanting home automation), you really ought to give Windows a try. Sure, 8.1 takes some getting used to, but the tech in the OS is superior and robust. I mean, XP came out before Wi-Fi networks became commonplace (802.11b at 11Mbps at best), and Wi-Fi I hear was just hacked onto XP.
    It's blowyed relative to XP for sure. If I used it as my main OS, I'd upgrade, but I have Windows iin a window ONLY for running RR2 (really, I don't use Windows for anything else) and it's just a big waste to move up since I'll use none of the features.

It's blowyed relative to XP for sure. If I used it as my main OS, I'd upgrade, but I have Windows iin a window ONLY for running RR2 (really, I don't use Windows for anything else) and it's just a big waste to move up since I'll use none of the features.
    Still don't agree with it being 'bloated' just like how RadioRA2 light switches aren't "bloated" compared to regular ones :)

That being said, totally understand. Besides, when you upgrade, there's no saying what else an upgrade might break. Just like upgrading a working version of RR2 software to one that has issues with the iOS client :)

Agree and find the last line humorous!

I guess the point is that RR2 can communicate with the repeater and send info, and if there's a break in compatibility to add new features, I'm all for that. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.