Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 4-Way diagram for Multi location Maestro dimmers

4-Way diagram for Multi location Maestro dimmers

I would like to use the Maestro dimmers in a 4-way application so I can dim the lights from any location. I looked at the instructions for the Maestro MACL-153M and it shows the LOAD(Light) is at one end of the string using the Brass screw of the switch and the LINE(HOT) at the other end of the string using the Black screw of the switch. The way my wiring is setup is both the LINE and LOAD is at the same location at one end of the string of switches. Can I connect the Line(Hot) to the Black screw and the Load(Light) to the Brass screw on the same Companion Switch at one end of the string. I am assuming that I will be use two of the Companion switch (MA-RR-WH) at each end of the string and the MACL-153M in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I would like to use the Maestro dimmers in a 4-way application so I can dim the lights from any location. I looked at the instructions for the Maestro MACL-153M and it shows the LOAD(Light) is at one end of the string using the Brass screw of the switch and the LINE(HOT) at the other end of the string using the Black screw of the switch. The way my wiring is setup is both the LINE and LOAD is at the same location at one end of the string of switches. Can I connect the Line(Hot) to the Black screw and the Load(Light) to the Brass screw on the same Companion Switch at one end of the string. I am assuming that I will be use two of the Companion switch (MA-RR-WH) at each end of the string and the MACL-153M in the middle.
    In a typical 4-way circuit, power comes in at one end (3-way switch), goes through the 4-way switch(es), then through another 3-way switch up to the light (switch-leg). If you have power-in and the switch-leg in the same box, the electrician will relay one of them to the other end using one of the conductors of the 3-wire cable. You may have a different color combination but the wiring is exactly the same for the maestro.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I installed 3 wire between each box ( red, black,white) so I don't think I have an extra wire to relay the power to the other end because I believe I am using the red and black wire to go between the each switch unless I am not seeing something correctly in the diagram of the maestro switch.

I installed 3 wire between each box ( red, black,white) so I don't think I have an extra wire to relay the power to the other end because I believe I am using the red and black wire to go between the each switch unless I am not seeing something correctly in the diagram of the maestro switch.
    As I look closer to the wiring diagram for the Lutron Maestro it looks like it does not use the White Neutral wire.. Could I use that wire to relay the power from the one end to the other end of the 4 way circuit. I would properly label the white wire so anyone working on it would know it is a hot wire.

As I look closer to the wiring diagram for the Lutron Maestro it looks like it does not use the White Neutral wire.. Could I use that wire to relay the power from the one end to the other end of the 4 way circuit. I would properly label the white wire so anyone working on it would know it is a hot wire.
    3 wires is all you need. For mechanical switches you use (example) the red and white as travelers. You use the black to relay power/switch leg to the other end. All 3 wires would connect to the switch.

Yes, you should mark the white wire since it is not being used as a neutral. Some use electrical tape, some us a black marker.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com