Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: RadioRA2 Upgrade to HomeworkQS

RadioRA2 Upgrade to HomeworkQS

Can RadioRA2 be upgraded to Homeworks QS? Appears to be same technology under the hood.

What's migration path for a home with 150 RadioRA2 loads needing Homework QS capability?

While I believe Lutron could absolutely make this happen, I don't believe they will. I've been wanting to do this for some clients, as it's hard when they're new to lighting control to get them to invest for HWQS. Lutron could definitely make a higher upgrade price for RA2 device-compatible and QS repeater since the HWQS devices are more costly if they want to maintain the price point. It doesn't do the customer or Lutron any good to force them to rip out RA2, as almost none of them would do it and Lutron and installers would just face less profit.

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    While I believe Lutron could absolutely make this happen, I don't believe they will. I've been wanting to do this for some clients, as it's hard when they're new to lighting control to get them to invest for HWQS. Lutron could definitely make a higher upgrade price for RA2 device-compatible and QS repeater since the HWQS devices are more costly if they want to maintain the price point. It doesn't do the customer or Lutron any good to force them to rip out RA2, as almost none of them would do it and Lutron and installers would just face less profit.
    I generally second this idea. I think that if the industry approached this as a 'license upgrade fee' that worked similar to HWI keypad license, that would be more attractive to both clients and dealers. The hardware cost to 'upgrade' a Ra2 device to HWQS would be 'paid for' by a license, client buys P6 processor and RF repeaters, Dealer sends in the Ra2 main repeater(s) to complete the license. Still cheaper for the client than paying an electrician to re-install all the Ra2 wallbox parts.

Love this. Why switch hardware when you can change software-like Inclusive shared scenes

When situations like this arise, I do believe the dealer that originally installed the 150 device RR2 system is partly to blame.

Dealers need to be asking themselves, and their clients the right questions to educate them about how future needs can effect system design & budget at the time of initial design.

What happens if breadth of system needs to be expanded?
    What happens if you would like to add [more] motorized shades?
    What happens if you would like to integrate the detached garage/shop/cabana/pool house?

There is no way a 150 device RR2 system should be deployed unless it is practically every lighting zone, shade, lamp in the house at initial design. And even still the dealer should be asking themselves some hard questions.

Quote Originally Posted by BradKas View Post
    When situations like this arise, I do believe the dealer that originally installed the 150 device RR2 system is partly to blame.

Dealers need to be asking themselves, and their clients the right questions to educate them about how future needs can effect system design & budget at the time of initial design.

What happens if breadth of system needs to be expanded?
    What happens if you would like to add [more] motorized shades?
    What happens if you would like to integrate the detached garage/shop/cabana/pool house?

There is no way a 150 device RR2 system should be deployed unless it is practically every lighting zone, shade, lamp in the house at initial design. And even still the dealer should be asking themselves some hard questions.

I agree what I notice is there are some Ra2 dealers who are not HWQS certified. This means NO Sale for them if it goes QS. I agree with you Brad The dealer is partly to blame