Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio RA 2 needs same features as smart bridge

Radio RA 2 needs same features as smart bridge

I would really like to see the radio RA 2 system catch up to caseta smart bridge. Right now the only thermostat that you can use with RA 2 is the Honeywell zigbee. Smart bridge can do both Honeywell wifi and nest. The caseta app also provides remote access without vpn.

Anyone know if RA 2 will get some of these same features?

I think you can pay Lutron for the service to get in remotely without the VPN, which I think was rolled out last year. I agree more basic systems shouldn't have better functionality in some respects, and perhaps there could be an add-on processor to enable broader compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    I think you can pay Lutron for the service to get in remotely without the VPN, which I think was rolled out last year. I agree more basic systems shouldn't have better functionality in some respects, and perhaps there could be an add-on processor to enable broader compatibility.
    An easier solution may be to allow the smartbridge to have access to Radio Ra2 devices; directly or via the main repeater.

4. Likes asherrick liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    This is correct. Let's look at when the main repeater was created- mid 2000's. Would you have predicted (if you weren't in the integration business) that free cloud based access would become the norm in ten years? The Smart Bridge has the benefit of being "born" into a time that total connectivity is something that we now expect, not just dream about. Easy solution- Home Control+ app gets free cloud access, just as Caseta does. Those owners that want/require more security would naturally gravitate to VPN access.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I agree VPN is nice, but I think this dialog here suggests Lutron should consider a RR2 v2 main repeater or add-on module that offers broader integration out of the box. Basically everyone would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by therockhr View Post
    An easier solution may be to allow the smartbridge to have access to Radio Ra2 devices; directly or via the main repeater.
    Which would be trivially simple to do considering they use exactly the same communications protocols. But the bridge and repeaters (and PC software) are configured to NOT do that. Same deal with the shades.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Which would be trivially simple to do considering they use exactly the same communications protocols. But the bridge and repeaters (and PC software) are configured to NOT do that. Same deal with the shades.
    Yep, hopefully they will expand the SmartBridge Pro to act as the hub for Radio RA 2 devices in the future. Would make sense to not have to develop software for 2 different hubs (RA 2 main repeater and SmartBridge). With all the alliances they have formed with the SmartBridge (http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Alliances.aspx) it just seems natural to extend on that when a customer wants to expand instead of moving them to RA 2 that has a weaker software feature set.

Quote Originally Posted by therockhr View Post
    Yep, hopefully they will expand the SmartBridge Pro to act as the hub for Radio RA 2 devices in the future. Would make sense to not have to develop software for 2 different hubs (RA 2 main repeater and SmartBridge). With all the alliances they have formed with the SmartBridge (http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Alliances.aspx) it just seems natural to extend on that when a customer wants to expand instead of moving them to RA 2 that has a weaker software feature set.
    It really smacks of entrenched 'factions' within the company and old-school thinking regarding 'protecting' markets. Lots of companies have done that in the past, and many have failed or lost considerable leads in their markets. Clearly there are conflicts within Lutron regarding these markets. I mean, really, where's the sense in making Caseta AT ALL? Why spend all that money tooling up different plastics and all the related materials?

If anything they'd have been better offering RA2 at that price-point and continuing to push HWQS as a the custom product. Double-down on the higher-end integration aspects while putting a superior product out for the masses. Instead, what they're doing is pushing a dead-end product line out on the masses with the understanding the customers will be orphaned if they like it enough to actually WANT TO BUY MORE! How dumb is that? Nope, if the customer wasn't 'smart enough' have been sold to by a dealer (and bought RA2 or HWQS) they're faced with that dealer now telling them they need to RIP IT ALL OUT. Why? Not because there's any technological difference. But because the company continues to feel there's some need to be militant about market segmentation.

10. Likes asherrick liked this post
    I must be missing something. What does .net have to do with RR2 and Caseta features? I'm not suggesting it isn't related, I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    It really smacks of entrenched 'factions' within the company and old-school thinking regarding 'protecting' markets. Lots of companies have done that in the past, and many have failed or lost considerable leads in their markets. Clearly there are conflicts within Lutron regarding these markets. I mean, really, where's the sense in making Caseta AT ALL? Why spend all that money tooling up different plastics and all the related materials?

If anything they'd have been better offering RA2 at that price-point and continuing to push HWQS as a the custom product. Double-down on the higher-end integration aspects while putting a superior product out for the masses. Instead, what they're doing is pushing a dead-end product line out on the masses with the understanding the customers will be orphaned if they like it enough to actually WANT TO BUY MORE! How dumb is that? Nope, if the customer wasn't 'smart enough' have been sold to by a dealer (and bought RA2 or HWQS) they're faced with that dealer now telling them they need to RIP IT ALL OUT. Why? Not because there's any technological difference. But because the company continues to feel there's some need to be militant about market segmentation.
    I've had similar thoughts. It would be interesting to hear from someone at Lutron...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast