Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lag with telnet vs RS232

Lag with telnet vs RS232

I've been playing around with RadioRA2 integration using telnet for a recent installation I had done in my home, but haven't found it to be as responsive as I would like and observe a significant lag time. I'm wondering if RS232 would have less lag, or if there are any other options (tap directly into RF?).

My current goal is to bind a single dimmer to a group of dimmers. When an ~OUTPUT message is observed for a trigger dimmer, a matching #OUTPUT command is sent to the bound dimmers. But I see a minimum 1.8 second delay from dimmer press to ~OUTPUT message and a similar delay from #OUTPUT command to observed lighting change.

Is there any way to reduce or eliminate this delay on telnet? Or is RS232 more responsive? Or does anyone have any experience tapping into RadioRA RF directly?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Any particular reason you're not using a scene for that kind of action? That way the devices all coordinate their dimming equally (if you set up the scene that way, that is).

just stabbing in the dark here- what is the ramp time for the trigger dimmer? 2 seconds?

Sadly that's not possible. See https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...perate-a-scene

For this room I have a single overhead ceiling lamp on a dimmer plus a couple of tabletop dimmers for lamps in the corners of the room. Ideally the table-top dimmers wouldn't even be seen and those lamps would just track with the ceiling lamp in lock-step.

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    just stabbing in the dark here- what is the ramp time for the trigger dimmer? 2 seconds?
    Yes, it is 2 seconds. I suppose I should experiment with adjusting that or turning it off. (I'm assuming your hunch here is that it only sends an ~OUTPUT after ramp completes.)

The reasons I haven't done that yet are that:
    1. I see the same behavior with the up/down adjustment buttons on the side which I don't believe are subject to ramp time.
    2. I don't see this behavior when I trigger the dimmer using #OUTPUT (immediate ~output is sent to other telnet clients)
    3. I'm not sure how to change the ramp :)

I'll give it a go and report back. Ultimately though I'd want to leave the ramp time at 2 seconds and still have a working solution.

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    Turns out I was mistaken, ramp time is 0.75 up and 2.5 down. But both show the same lag of around 1.8-2.0 seconds, as does a 30 second delayed long fade to off. For completeness, I set ramp to 0 and found the same lag.

I tried out rs232 and it has the same lag for dimmer presses. I think I'm out of luck here :(

Is anyone from Lutron able to comment on why this lag time is so long and what, if anything can be done to reduce it?

Quote Originally Posted by spherex View Post
    For this room I have a single overhead ceiling lamp on a dimmer plus a couple of tabletop dimmers for lamps in the corners of the room. Ideally the table-top dimmers wouldn't even be seen and those lamps would just track with the ceiling lamp in lock-step.
    Which is the perfect scenario for a keypad and scenes, and should have been part of a competent initial design.

I've done several where user control over the lighting is from a hybrid keypad. There's a load on the keypad itself, and then the buttons on are typically toggle scenes, with specific dim values and fade times. Alternatively you can always add a Pico and use that for scene controls. It's easy to even 'fake' an extra gang position with a larger wall plate and a Pico mounting clip. This, again, is something covered/discussed during most training sessions.

The bottom-most button on most of keypads gets programmed as an "area off" scene, which drops most lighting immediately but leaves a few of them on a slow fade or a delay. This way the user sees immediate effect but gets enough time to leave the area with the remaining light.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Which is the perfect scenario for a keypad and scenes, and should have been part of a competent initial design.

Ah, but I don't want a keypad or a pico. I want a dimmer. A keypad for two lights seems like overkill, and picos look cheap. And I'll let my installer know you think they're not competent. They'll love that.

But I think this is distracting from my question - how do I get an immediate ~OUTPUT or other monitoring response from a dimmer press?

Then you're out of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast