Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Control+ Connection

Home Control+ Connection

I setup my integration ID's (Telnet Logins) in the programming and downloaded the App on my iphone and ipad, they each work fine but never ask me for my ID / PW when I use the app on either device. When I look through the settings on each they both say pre-configured. Am I missing a step? I have more phones to add and right now I don't have any conflicts because I am the only one using it, however when I add a couple more phones I suspect I could have some issues. Also, in the app it won't let me change the "preconfigured" password or login.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhanks View Post
    I setup my integration ID's (Telnet Logins) in the programming and downloaded the App on my iphone and ipad, they each work fine but never ask me for my ID / PW when I use the app on either device. When I look through the settings on each they both say pre-configured. Am I missing a step? I have more phones to add and right now I don't have any conflicts because I am the only one using it, however when I add a couple more phones I suspect I could have some issues. Also, in the app it won't let me change the "preconfigured" password or login.
    Since software version 6.0.0 of RadioRA 2 and version 5.0.0 of the Lutron Home Control+ app the login and password will be preconfigured on auto discovered system. Unfortunately, you cannot change the login information on a system that was auto discovered.

To add a username and password you will need to add the system manually. When you add a system manually the app will allow you to enter a username and password.

That almost sounds easier or to good to be true. Will the auto-discover on multiple phones/tablets conflict then? In other words is there a reason to manually add for a simple system?

Quote Originally Posted by paulhanks View Post
    That almost sounds easier or to good to be true. Will the auto-discover on multiple phones/tablets conflict then? In other words is there a reason to manually add for a simple system?
    You can have up to 8 simultaneous logins with an auto discovered system. I would use manually add logins for third party control systems. They cannot use the auto login and would benefit from having their own dedicated login. If you have less than 8 devices then it's okay to use the auto login.

This is an eerie coincidence, I was just wondering what limits and issues would come up with the limited number of logins.

What are the implications of a login being used by more than one device at a time?

With the advent of inexpensive tablets it starts becoming possible to consider using them instead of hardware keypads. But if there's only 10 logins you're going to run short pretty quick. Two logins person (one each phone and tablet) chews through them quick.

What's the suggested method for handling connection from more than the 10 logins?

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    This is an eerie coincidence, I was just wondering what limits and issues would come up with the limited number of logins.

What are the implications of a login being used by more than one device at a time?

With the advent of inexpensive tablets it starts becoming possible to consider using them instead of hardware keypads. But if there's only 10 logins you're going to run short pretty quick. Two logins person (one each phone and tablet) chews through them quick.

What's the suggested method for handling connection from more than the 10 logins?
    If a login is used twice it will disconnect the other device that is logged in.

RadioRA 2 is limited to 8 simultaneous connection at once. You can create 10 logins under Settings>Integration>User IDs and also use the auto login. So you can have multiple logins created but still limited to 8 simultaneous.

TCP Socket Multiplexing

If you need more than 8 simultaneous connections - you need to look into something called "TCP Socket Multiplexing." I know that commandfusion has a device called a lan bridge that does this, but I'm unsure if that works outside of their environment or not. Essentially, you are adding another device between your clients and the repeater - this multiplexer device will maintain one connection to the repeater (keeping it under the max allowed of 8 connections), and then handle communications to/from several clients at the same time. If you can't find anything, I think it would be possible to create your own using a raspberry pi and doing some code - if you are really needing a hardware solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    If a login is used twice it will disconnect the other device that is logged in.
    What are the UI implications of this?

Is the client going to be forced to reload all the items from the database again? Or is it more a matter of it might not shown all the latest device status updates, since those are tied to having a live login connection?

What are the UI implications of this?

Is the client going to be forced to reload all the items from the database again? Or is it more a matter of it might not shown all the latest device status updates, since those are tied to having a live login connection?
    From my experience when they navigate the app and try to change something it will say that it's reconnecting. At that point it will try to kick the other user out of that login. The app should not have updated feedback until it reconnects.
    Last edited by Meredith K.; 12-18-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgerken View Post
    If you need more than 8 simultaneous connections - you need to look into something called "TCP Socket Multiplexing." I know that commandfusion has a device called a lan bridge that does this, but I'm unsure if that works outside of their environment or not. Essentially, you are adding another device between your clients and the repeater - this multiplexer device will maintain one connection to the repeater (keeping it under the max allowed of 8 connections), and then handle communications to/from several clients at the same time. If you can't find anything, I think it would be possible to create your own using a raspberry pi and doing some code - if you are really needing a hardware solution.
    It'd certainly be interesting to know if the LAN Bridge unit could be put into service to add more simultaneous connections. But then they'd all be sharing the same single RS-232 connection. What're the potential complications of multiple clients sharing the same session? Presuming that the bridge handles the obvious simultaneous input collisions, of course.

Would a client accept being configured to connect via a different IP address than the repeater itself? Is the connection process the same on RS-232 as it is via telnet over Ethernet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast