Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Solar screen plus blackout

Solar screen plus blackout

What is the optimal way to achieve this functionality? The room has an east facing wall of windows - an 8 ft fixed panel with a pair of 22" casements on each side. I realize I could have three shade sets - one for the big window and one for each casement pair. Each shade set would consist of a solar shade (3% transmission) and a blackout shade. I was planning on mounting the solar shade next to the glazing with the blackout shade further into the room. Is there a valence that allows both mechanisms to be hidden in one box? How much space does each mechanism require?

Considering your post in the Caseta forum regarding the wiring for shades, are you planning on Serena or Triathlon? That would be stacking a black-out and sheer shade (two full shades). I would suggest calling a Lutron Certified Shades dealer for assistance, before you find out all that work you've done is for naught. Shading on this type of level is definitely possible as DIY, but the mistakes can add up very quickly. Might be better to rent the skillset on this job to get your feet wet.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Well since one window is 96", I think I'd need the shade larger so it seems I'll be going w sivoia

Quote Originally Posted by skypickle View Post
    Well since one window is 96", I think I'd need the shade larger so it seems I'll be going w sivoia
    If that's the case, then you can "stack" two shades in a single fascia, one over the other. You would need to run two wires for each shade to accomplish your goals. I often see a 16g/4wire speaker wire for just your type of application.

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    If that's the case, then you can "stack" two shades in a single fascia, one over the other. You would need to run two wires for each shade to accomplish your goals. I often see a 16g/4wire speaker wire for just your type of application.
    by stack, you mean side by side. My original question was indeed about stacking two different shade types - one over the other. I suppose one shade could be 'in' the window and the other one over it. Although I would prefer if bothe shades were 'over' the window. Perhaps one shade could be attached to the frame over the top of the window and the other one from the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by skypickle View Post
    by stack, you mean side by side. My original question was indeed about stacking two different shade types - one over the other. I suppose one shade could be 'in' the window and the other one over it. Although I would prefer if bothe shades were 'over' the window. Perhaps one shade could be attached to the frame over the top of the window and the other one from the ceiling.
    I was referring to the same thing, two shades for one window. You can stack the Triathlon inside and then over the window. Makes for a lot of real estate for the two shades, vertically. The full shade line has two shades in one, so to speak. But it is a much higher level of design and install. Also more expensive.