Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ceiling fans

ceiling fans

So what ceiling fans are people using that work well with RRA2? I hear such great things about BigAssFans but apparently it's not an option? What else do we like?

Anybody? Bueller?

Basically any pull chain ceiling fan (Permanent split capacitor) will work well. Having a light kit installed would require a dimmer to handle the lights. LEDs and shared neutrals might be problematic as the motor load form the fan will most likely cause "unsatisfactory" performance with the LEDs. If you need a nicer fan for a project, look to Monte Carlo: http://www.montecarlofans.com/ . Should be able to source any special order through an electrical distributor.

Newer integrated controls for ceiling fans (think Hunter Douglas and most fan/light combos from big box stores) will have proprietary controls that you can't remove, making the RRD-2ANF-WH obsolete for your application. If the motor is DC, it is also not compatible.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

4. Thanks wkearney99 thanked for this post
    Ok, I think that makes sense. I wasn't aware of Monte Carlo and they're definitely pretty, so thanks for that. However, every one I looked at so far seems to have a DC motor - does that mean I can't actually use with RRA2?

We have moved to leaving Fans out of our designs for this fact..... Unless I know going in they are buying a simple pull chain ceiling fan its not going to work. I see Lutron addressing this down the line.... Patios with multiple fans are really pushing the limits so we started running individual switch legs out to them to resolve the multiple fan RF issues.... Get over 2 and the Rf from a single controller (The fans controller) can't handle it.... Lutron makes a stand alone canopy module that allows control of several fans but again your 2anf doesn't work with this....

Mike, Are you saying that Monte Carlo fans are compatible with RR2?

Quote Originally Posted by sbguy01 View Post
    Mike, Are you saying that Monte Carlo fans are compatible with RR2?
    Most Monte Carlo Fans are available with the pull chain option. This would make them compatible with the RA2 fan speed control. If they come with a remote control of their own, assume they are off limits to RA2. Also look into Kichler. Again, pull chain only.

I just installed two ceiling fans from Lowe's. Just the $49.99 builder's specials. Running flawlessly and quiet on the RRD-2ANF.

Quote Originally Posted by rroonnbb View Post
    Ok, I think that makes sense. I wasn't aware of Monte Carlo and they're definitely pretty, so thanks for that. However, every one I looked at so far seems to have a DC motor - does that mean I can't actually use with RRA2?
    DC motors are not compatible. Even if they do offer a pull chain. Take a look at Kichler, or go for the more "cost effective" models at your big box. Watch for integrated LED lights, that is the area that probably is the hardest to navigate.

Update on what we did

Figured I'd update this thread with what we ended up doing...

Basically decided to just go for whatever fan we liked and live with the limitations that came up.

For the living room the style we liked was Monte Carlo Maverick (70" but they make a few sizes). This has integrated controls that don't play nicely with a lutron fan switch so we just have a simple Lutron on/off and everything else is done via the remote control system that comes with the fan. (and fortunately the fan remembers the state it was in when you cycle power with lighting control)

We also put in 3 fanimation spitfire fans. These were nice in that you can just leave out their integrated control module and wire it up directly to a Lutron fan controller. We ended up with 2 on Lighting control like that, and then a 3rd we didn't bother putting on lighting control and will just use the control/remote that's included with the fan.

Finally we put in a Minka Aire 'Steal' fan in gunmetal gray. It's really pretty and nice and cheap ($130ish) and Lutron fan controller works great with it.

It's definitely annoying that the most expensive fan of the bunch is the one that we couldn't use with lighting control but I guess that's just the way it is for now.
    Last edited by rroonnbb; 01-25-2018 at 01:00 AM. Reason: clarified

11. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rroonnbb View Post
    Figured I'd update this thread with what we ended up doing...

Basically decided to just go for whatever fan we liked and live with the limitations that came up.

For the living room the style we liked was Monte Carlo Maverick (70" but they make a few sizes). This has integrated controls that don't play nicely with a lutron fan switch so we just have a simple Lutron on/off and everything else is done via the remote control system that comes with the fan. (and fortunately the fan remembers the state it was in when you cycle power with lighting control)

We also put in 3 fanimation spitfire fans. These were nice in that you can just leave out their integrated control module and wire it up directly to a Lutron fan controller. We ended up with 2 on Lighting control like that, and then a 3rd we didn't bother putting on lighting control and will just use the control/remote that's included with the fan.

Finally we put in a Minka Aire 'Steal' fan in gunmetal gray. It's really pretty and nice and cheap ($130ish) and Lutron fan controller works great with it.

It's definitely annoying that the most expensive fan of the bunch is the one that we couldn't use with lighting control but I guess that's just the way it is for now.
    Thanks for the follow-up! Did you just remove the light kits from the Spitfire fans?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast