Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Upgrading Ra2 to Ra3 - with Control 4 in Home

Upgrading Ra2 to Ra3 - with Control 4 in Home

The homeowner just got someone in to install C4 and have it integrated with their exiting Ra2 system. We have been up against the 100 device count for years, now he wants to go over that so we are discussing using one Ra3 processor and using Sunnata devices for the new stuff. Will the Ra3 upgrade effect the integration that already exists with C4?
    Thanks!

Yes the C4 system will need programming changes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmax View Post
    Thanks John. So, the upgrade changes the device id/href and also the button href? Oh well wish, that was not necessary!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johnmax View Post
    Thanks John. So, the upgrade changes the device id/href and also the button href? Oh well wish, that was not necessary!

This is why I think that it was a mistake for Lutron to take away telnet support. Yeah yeah yeah, I know: "Telnet is not secure!" but I would argue that if a hacker broke in your home network remotely or broke in your home physically and connected their laptop to your router and *gasp* telneted into your Lutron processor and turned on your dining room lights, you probably have bigger problems than the dining room lights coming on. How long have we had telnet on illuminations systems and QS systems? How many documented cases of a "hacker" breaking into a Lutron system and causing damage do we have? 2? 1? 0? At the very least, whether to take this "huge risk" should be up to the installer and home owner.

As it stands now, I have customers with perfectly working Ra2 and Homeworks QS (and even illumination) systems that are integrated with Savant, Crestron, C4, and RTI systems. I only do the Lutron stuff. I have no idea what it would take to re-integrate everything when the time comes to upgrade the Lutron end of these systems. Will it take a few hours of reprogramming them or is the homeowner going to be on the hook to replace the hardware on the above systems to the newest version so it's compatible with LEAP? Will all the functionality stay in place or will it lose some things? LEAP has been out for like 3 years now and it's still a huge secret.

So far I've lost one customer because of this. 3 years ago (2 weeks after QSX was officially released) I met with a customer who had a Homeworks QS system with a single link processor that was tied up to wired keypads and grafik eyes. He was going to get Lutron shades put in and wanted to add those to the system so I informed him that in order to do that, he'd need to replace his single link processor to a 2 link QS processor so we could add wireless capabilities plus he'd have to get a connect bridge to use the app. Had the original installer who knew there would be shades in the house not cheaped out and got a 2 link processor to begin with, it'd be a no-brainer, but this customer would be on the hook for like $1600 for a new QS and connect bridge so I being a person with a conscience, informed him that QSX has just been released and was way more future proof than QS so as long as he was going to spend the money anyway, it would be worth considering it. This was in the middle of the pandemic and they were going to have a child soon so it wasn't like we were going to get started right away so I thought by then QSX would be rolling out fully.

Only issue - he had a Savant system and at the time, Lutron had no Savant support and wouldn't until a year later. The customer checked back with me during that time a few times but I still didn't have any information. I asked him to check with his Savant guy (who was probably the original Lutron guy as well) so I'm not sure what happened. All I know is that I have a few other prospects coming up and I have no good answer to give them regarding integration.

5. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Well with Crestron and Savant there will need to be reprogramming. Completely new control modules/profiles. And with Savant you need their LEAP integration bridge plus you will have to upgrade your Savant OS to newer versions that will support QSX/RA3. So even though programming time is generally less with Savant vs Crestron, the hardware purchase and OS license upgrade cost to uprade a Savant system to be able to control QSX/RA3 brings them about equal. Can't speak for C4 or RTI as I dont program those.

7. Thanks Bill13 thanked for this post