Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom App Control

Custom App Control

New to the forums here, and fairly new to Caseta Wireless. I've spent a small fortune converting the first floor of my home to Caseta Wireless after toying with some Z-Wave devices that were less than reliable. So far from a standpoint of automated control via the app, this is a great solution. I also love how I was able to remove a 3-way switch that I thought was always in the way and replace it with a pico that controls all the lights in that area. So far the response from people who visit has been very positive.

One thing I would like to note about the app, and I hope that something is in the works to update it, is to allow the app to run in landscape mode. I have an older Android Tablet (Asus Slider) that sits on my home entertainment system and I use it for Pandora, Plex, etc. I installed the app, but it wants to operate only in portrait mode. Also, it would be really sweet if Lutron made a widget that you could tie to a scene. So on the home screen for the tablet I could have a button to trigger the "Movie" scene.

Getting more technical, I would love to be able to write some sort of custom front-end that would trigger the various scenes or events. This could be displayed on a tablet or a phone and it would just have a list of the scenes you choose. Just me thinking of cool ways to control the lights. Maybe this isn't the best solution for that, but with the Do Button from IFTTT (which is horribly limited to 3 lousy buttons) there has to be a way to come up with something similar.

Also, for hardware, please include a fan control. I have a ceiling fan and would love to have this part of a controlled system.

So does anyone else here have any advice on anything custom and geeky they did with their systems? I know there has to be more way to use IFTTT integration, but I've not found them yet.

Cheers!

2. Thanks Kevin P. thanked for this post
    I've been asking Lutron for a landscape compatible IOS app for almost 8 months. When I finally got a reply, I was told that Caseta doesnt lend itself to landscape mode. Hard to believe they can make an Apple Watch app but can't figure out how to accomodate those of us that have wall mounted ipads.

Quote Originally Posted by airshane View Post
    I would love to be able to write some sort of custom front-end that would trigger the various scenes or events
    You already can do it, and there are even some third party apps for controlling Caseta too.

I know there has to be more way to use IFTTT integration, but I've not found them yet
    Me personally, I prefer my lighting system to be independent of Comast / IFTTT / whathaveyou, thank you very much! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    You already can do it, and there are even some third party apps for controlling Caseta too.

Me personally, I prefer my lighting system to be independent of Comast / IFTTT / whathaveyou, thank you very much! ;-)
    Which is why I want a custom app, or the ability to create a custom app, to control it through the smartbridge locally. I've tried other solutions and the lag time is horrible. I need something that communicates to the bridge and does my task within miliseconds. Not five seconds later. Another reason why a remote control with scene functions would be awesome.

Which is why I want a custom app, or the ability to create a custom app, to control it through the smartbridge locally. ... I need something that communicates to the bridge and does my task within miliseconds....
    As I said, it is already possible, you can talk to bridge directly, and there are apps out there which do that.

Care to expand on how you've done it. I've not seen any real life examples in these forums for what I want to do. I want a DIY solution that doesn't require expensive software and/or hardware I have to purchase from a dealer, which is what most of the companies on the alliance page are. Funny thing is, Lutron already makes the device I need (4 button pico), but it doesn't work with Caseta. That little device would give me 90% of what I want. Instant scene selection without having to use the Lutron app.

I know that it works on a SmartBridge Pro, don't know if it is possible on SmartBridge. The steps you should do are -

1. Open up Caseta app,
    2. Go to menu, Settings
    3. Select Advanced, Integration
    4. Toggle "Telnet Support" to ON

That's it, now you can connect to the bridge directly, use the IP address from "Network Settings" and tap "Send Integration Report" to see integration IDs for all of your devices and scenes.

9. Thanks asherrick thanked for this post
    Likes asherrick liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    I know that it works on a SmartBridge Pro, don't know if it is possible on SmartBridge. The steps you should do are -

1. Open up Caseta app,
    2. Go to menu, Settings
    3. Select Advanced, Integration
    4. Toggle "Telnet Support" to ON

That's it, now you can connect to the bridge directly, use the IP address from "Network Settings" and tap "Send Integration Report" to see integration IDs for all of your devices and scenes.
    I don't have this option, only an option to set time and date under 'Settings' menu within the app? Definitely have the SmartBridge Pro. What am I missing or have I configured something incorrectly?

Cheers

Check the bottom of your device and make sure the model number is L-BDGPRO. What you're describing sounds like the standard unit. Unfortunately the pro version is only available from dealers. However, there are "dealers" selling them on Amazon and eBay, which is where I purchased mine.

Thanks,

I ordered mine from a dealer as well. It is definitely the pro model, and has L-BDGPRO written on the bottom as you describe. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the iOS app to no avail - still only get time and date under settings. Any other ideas out there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast