Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adding second bridge

Adding second bridge

Wanting to upgrade to HomeKit enabled bridge and as I understand it there is no way to copy settings from old bridge to new bridge. I have several shades connected that are in a very difficult (for me) to reach place so rather than trying to redo those I am opting to run 2 bridges - my question is what is the process for clearing my other switches, dimmers and picos? Do I only need to “ forget” them from the original hub before adding them to new hub or must I also reset each switch, dimmer and Pico before adding? Both old and new bridge are of the “pro” variety.
    Thanks in advance.

You will need to reset all of the devices you want to move back to factory default.

You should also check with Tech Support. They sometimes update bridge firmware. You might even be able to send it back for them to update at the factory.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Lutron Technical Support
    The bridges will automatically update their firmware as needed.
    The difference between a Gen1 bridge and a Gen2 (HomeKit capable) bridge is additional hardware for HomeKit, not firmware. There is no update for this.
    A new bridge will have to be purchased.

The question was not about that ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    The bridges will automatically update their firmware as needed.
    The difference between a Gen1 bridge and a Gen2 (HomeKit capable) bridge is additional hardware for HomeKit, not firmware. There is no update for this.
    A new bridge will have to be purchased.
    perhaps I was unclear - the question is when adding a second bridge and leaving some shades connected to original bridge - what is the process for removing switches/dimmers/picos from first bridge. I am assuming I need to tell the original bridge to forget those items. After that do I need to go to each “forgotten” device and reset it before attempting to add that device to the new HomeKit bridge?

sorry if my question was confusing?

You will need to delete the device from the first bridge. Select the device, tap edit, tap delete.

You will also need to reset the device to factory default.
    Pull the gap switch, wait 3 seconds, push it back in (not required but sometimes helps).
    Triple tap and hold on button until lights flash rapidly
    Triple tap and release. Lights should flash slowly.
    It may take a minute or two for the device to complete its reset.

I know you are not doing shades now but the shade procedure may be a little different depending on the family of shades.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

would it be so hard for Lutron to have a transfer utility?

When you upgrade a hub on the Hue system there is a utility that transfers all your names and settings etc to the new hub. Why can't Luton do the same?
    For that matter there are other apps out there that allow you to manage multiple hubs at different locations by just toggling a setting. That too could be done without hurting the 50 device limit at each location and still protect the dealers. For those people who go between locations with systems - it would make life easier.

Having gone thru the process of adding a second hub and transferring devices i can offer the following experience:

If you delete any device from the app and that device has no picos joined to it. You need not go thru the exercise of also reseting the switch/dimmer/lamp module. You can just add it to the new hub.
    If the switch/dimmer/lamp module does have a pico(s) then you must delete device from app as well as use the triple tap method to reset the switch/dimmer/lamp module. You do not need to reset the picos - they are reset at same time as master device and can be added to the new hub.

I did notice on a few of my dimmers that after deleting the device in the app the lights continued to cycle off and on when they should have stopped after 3 cycles. Pulling the power disconnect for a few seconds remedied that and then the dimmers could be added to the new hubs.

So far my experience with homekit has been great. Using Siri seems quicker and less error prone than Alexa. Not knocking Alexa - just Siri seems to work slightly better for me.