Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable fade rates for Caseta dimmer?

Dimmer itself seems to be non-programmable at all, however PICO gives some more flexibility in this regard. So for the app scenes and PICO button, some of that can be adjusted.

Hello, is there any update to this issue? I just installed several caseta wireless dimmers (controlling satco LED br40's) and the slow fade is annoying. Especially when you can turn them off immediately via the app. Also, the maestros are programmable so clearly it can be done. Lutron, please fix!!

3. Thanks julianm thanked for this post

Thumbs up Don't go backwards Lutron

That is really unfortunate. Because this feature was available in previous models once I saw a FASS switch I assumed it was a given that I had control over all of those settings. Why would you remove something like that? High end features and options like this is what makes Lutron great and why I've been a faithful customer. Very disappointing.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
    That is really unfortunate. Because this feature was available in previous models once I saw a FASS switch I assumed it was a given that I had control over all of those settings. Why would you remove something like that? High end features and options like this is what makes Lutron great and why I've been a faithful customer. Very disappointing.
    If you are set on features like preset light levels, last light levels, and adjustable fade rates, I would suggest looking at our Radio RA2 product line. We do not like to sacrifice quality in order to differentiate our product lines, so we differentiate our products with features. RA2 has more features than Caseta, Homeworks QS has more features than RA2, etc.

That being said, we do now offer the Caseta ELV+ dimmer (PD-5NE) that includes a built in preset button. It does not have all the bells and whistles that the Radio RA2 Maestros offer, but at least it gives you a preset. Other than that, I would suggest strategically positioning Picos and remotes on coffee tables and nightstands to avoid getting up to use the local dimmer. Scenes created in the app are great for this as well...Also, if you need to control the dimmer locally, you can hit the raise button to gradually turn on your lights, rather than having them go to 100%.

I will make sure I document your feedback and pass it along to the appropriate parties at Lutron.

This is poor product differentiation because the Maestro dimmers (even 10 year old ones in my house) support adjustable fade times (so do competing home automation dimmers). The fade on Caseta is pretty slow which reduces usability of the product.

The new RA Select doesn't have adjustable fade rates either!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
    This is poor product differentiation because the Maestro dimmers (even 10 year old ones in my house) support adjustable fade times (so do competing home automation dimmers). The fade on Caseta is pretty slow which reduces usability of the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    The new RA Select doesn't have adjustable fade rates either!
    Having been involved with literally hundreds of installs and programs/re-programs, if you need this much granular control, then you need to move to RadioRA2. It would be nice to have all the adjustable fades and delays and keypads and programming of HomeWorks in the Caseta price-point, but it won't happen. Partially to protect those who have made the investment from years past in the higher end products and training. Partially due to product limitations. Someone finally explained it- the HWQS dimmer/switch/keypad requires FAR more memory than a RA2, and in turn then Caseta. Remember, the dimmer/switch/keypad contains ALL the commands it must respond to. Every feature you request requires memory. Would you pay $150-200 per dimmer for Caseta? $250-300? You've effectively priced yourself out of the market Caseta is aimed at. As Zach R. said above- they differentiate on features- not quality. If you NEED these features, then you need to pay the premium for the repeater or processor.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

But having to pay 4 to 5 times as much for Radio RA 2 over Caseta is too much!
    No need to compare the ultra expensive HomeWorks to Caseta. Radio RA 2 is closer to Caseta and has the adjustable fades, delays and keypads which can be programed.
    And why would you have to pay $150-$200 or $250-$300 for a Caseta dimmer when Radio RA2 dimmers are $150-$200? And those "who have made the investment from years past" very well understand that the price of technology gets much better and the price keeps going down.

Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    And why would you have to pay $150-$200 or $250-$300 for a Caseta dimmer when Radio RA2 dimmers are $150-$200? And those "who have made the investment from years past" very well understand that the price of technology gets much better and the price keeps going down.
    davisadm, we may have to agree to disagree on this one. I felt the same, until an engineer from Lutron explained my statement in red above. I understand the economy of scale that you are talking about, but also realize that the tech is now old. The main repeater was introduced in 2009. Are you still using your computer from 2009? Try and ask an electrical distributor for a magnetic fluorescent ballast. They overbuilt it for a long product life-cycle, but at some point being outdated would cost you more. Even Ra Classic still works from 1997, and RA2 was 20% cheaper on average. Also realize that they put A LOT back into R&D to give you the things we've become accustomed to, new products and systems, 24-7 tech support, LED testing, etc. My statement regarding a 250-300$Caseta dimmer would be if you asked Caseta to have the same feature set as HomeWorks, the dimmer would require far more memory and cost more. Thus slowing adoption and purchase rates, keeping the price higher as you would never reach the breaking point where it began to get cheaper. Remember that a lot of the cost differentials form RadioRA2 to Select or Caseta even will come from the amount of keypads ($300) vs. amount of Picos ($56) deployed into the system. (Sorry if I'm covering ground you already know, filling in the other readers of this thread.)
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    davisadm, we may have to agree to disagree on this one. I felt the same, until an engineer from Lutron explained my statement in red above. I understand the economy of scale that you are talking about, but also realize that the tech is now old. The main repeater was introduced in 2009. Are you still using your computer from 2009? Try and ask an electrical distributor for a magnetic fluorescent ballast. They overbuilt it for a long product life-cycle, but at some point being outdated would cost you more. Even Ra Classic still works from 1997, and RA2 was 20% cheaper on average. Also realize that they put A LOT back into R&D to give you the things we've become accustomed to, new products and systems, 24-7 tech support, LED testing, etc. My statement regarding a 250-300$Caseta dimmer would be if you asked Caseta to have the same feature set as HomeWorks, the dimmer would require far more memory and cost more. Thus slowing adoption and purchase rates, keeping the price higher as you would never reach the breaking point where it began to get cheaper. Remember that a lot of the cost differentials form RadioRA2 to Select or Caseta even will come from the amount of keypads ($300) vs. amount of Picos ($56) deployed into the system. (Sorry if I'm covering ground you already know, filling in the other readers of this thread.)
    Nobody is asking Caseta dimmers to have HomeWorks features and I don't understand why the two are being compared. HomeWorks is an ultra expensive high end system and no reason to be compared to Caseta. I don't see reasonable users wanting those features. Caseta is closer to Radio RA2 and Lutron could easily add a couple of more features from RA2 without maxing out the memory. Many RA2 systems use 4 button Picos vs. $300 keypads (which have more buttons).

I am not using a computer from 2009. My new one is much more powerful and cost quite a bit less than a 2009 model.

12. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast