Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: For Network Connectivity - Ensure Multicasting is Enabled

Authorized Lutron Contributor

For Network Connectivity - Ensure Multicasting is Enabled

When dealers cannot connect to their Main Repeaters through a router, but can connect directly to the repeater, it sometimes indicates the router is blocking the communication in some way. The most common reason for communication being blocked is that the multicasting ability in the router is blocked or disabled.

Some routers have multicasting disabled by default. some don't. We would recommend logging in to the router and enabling multicast then try to save settings on the "find main repeater" screen. Sometimes, the settings for multicast will not explicitly call out it is a multicasting feature. The most common nomenclature we have seen is "IGMP Services". Enable the IGMP Services to enable multicast.

If you cannot identify where the multicast setting is on a router and are unsure if the router has multicasting enabled or disabled (and a google search is not fruitful), we would recommend contacting the router manufacturer for assistance confirming this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    When dealers cannot connect to their Main Repeaters through a router, but can connect directly to the repeater, it sometimes indicates the router is blocking the communication in some way. The most common reason for communication being blocked is that the multicasting ability in the router is blocked or disabled.

Some routers have multicasting disabled by default. some don't. We would recommend logging in to the router and enabling multicast then try to save settings on the "find main repeater" screen. Sometimes, the settings for multicast will not explicitly call out it is a multicasting feature. The most common nomenclature we have seen is "IGMP Services". Enable the IGMP Services to enable multicast.

If you cannot identify where the multicast setting is on a router and are unsure if the router has multicasting enabled or disabled (and a google search is not fruitful), we would recommend contacting the router manufacturer for assistance confirming this matter.
    We had a multicasting issue today. Master not found....We turned off IGMP on the FiOS router and it fixed the problem. Verizon user: admin password is on the router. The forum really helped , since lutronn tech. Support was in the dark.

Has anyone encountered this issue with Apple components (Time Capsule w/ AirPorts?) Wondering if you need to set-up the base station and all access points to allow traffic to and from MRP. Also, doesn't enabling multicasting present a security issue? On my Belkin router i simply added the MRP's MAC address in the "MAC Address Filtering" option. This seemed safer to me and worked on my system, but having trouble with the Apple network at another account. Any help is appreciated!

Also, just to point out, this problem didnt occur until I upgrade the MRP's boot/firmware to the 7.5. Once I did this, the router bricked the MRP and my customer could no longer use the HC+, on site or remote access was both disabled as no communication bw MRP and Apple Time Capsule was allowed.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by electricrussell View Post
    Also, just to point out, this problem didnt occur until I upgrade the MRP's boot/firmware to the 7.5. Once I did this, the router bricked the MRP and my customer could no longer use the HC+, on site or remote access was both disabled as no communication bw MRP and Apple Time Capsule was allowed.
    This thread was also helpful for this issue: https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...ys-fails/page2

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
    We had a multicasting issue today. Master not found....We turned off IGMP on the FiOS router and it fixed the problem. Verizon user: admin password is on the router. The forum really helped , since lutronn tech. Support was in the dark.
    You may have caused multicast to flood in your network by turning off IGMP in your router.
    Might or might not be an issue, because traffic is not that high.