Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I need help with wiring 2 dimmers and mechanical switch please

I need help with wiring 2 dimmers and mechanical switch please

Hello, Im new to the forum and need some help. I have set up 2 different sets of lights in my basement living room, one set I want to control via 3 way, a 3-way mechanical switch on one side and a dimmer on the other side of the room. Next to the dimmer will also be another dimmer controlling the other set of lights. Both dimmers seem to control the lights as they should, and the mechanical switch also works fine when flipped on. However, when flpping that switch off, it not only turns the one set of lights off, the dimmer also turns off too. Any ideas why that would be? Here is how it is currently wired:Mechanical switch: 3-way wire, red wire on one brass screw, white wire on other brass screw, and black wire on black common screw1st Dimmer: red wire on blue screw, white to brass screw, black wire (from 3-way) wire nutted with black wire from set of lights wanted to be controlled via 3-way, black pigtail on black screw connected to black screw on other dimmer2nd dimmer: power connected to black screw, black wire from other set of lights on top brass screwGrounds are wire nutted togetherI looked thrugh the different install diagrams but wasn't sure which to use, I feel like this would be a combo between image 9 & 10 maybe? My uncle who is an electrician walked through the install with me but we didn't follow any of these as you can see above.

I apologize for the formatting, I put it in paragraph format, but it lumped it all together and it wont let me edit...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff785 View Post
    Hello, Im new to the forum and need some help. I have set up 2 different sets of lights in my basement living room, one set I want to control via 3 way, a 3-way mechanical switch on one side and a dimmer on the other side of the room. Next to the dimmer will also be another dimmer controlling the other set of lights. Both dimmers seem to control the lights as they should, and the mechanical switch also works fine when flipped on. However, when flpping that switch off, it not only turns the one set of lights off, the dimmer also turns off too. Any ideas why that would be? Here is how it is currently wired:
    Mechanical switch: 3-way wire, red wire on one brass screw, white wire on other brass screw, and black wire on black common screw
    1st Dimmer: red wire on blue screw, white to brass screw, black wire (from 3-way) wire nutted with black wire from set of lights wanted to be controlled via 3-way, black pigtail on black screw connected to black screw on other dimmer
    2nd dimmer: power connected to black screw, black wire from other set of lights on top brass screw
    Grounds are wire nutted together. I looked thrugh the different install diagrams but wasn't sure which to use, I feel like this would be a combo between image 9 & 10 maybe? My uncle who is an electrician walked through the install with me but we didn't follow any of these as you can see above.
    It would be helpful to know the model number of the dimmer. Since you mention a blue screw it is probably a Maestro dimmer. The MACL-153M is the only Maestro dimmer that will work with a mechanical 3-way. You have to program the dimmer so it knows it is connected to a mechanical 3-way. See step 9 of installation instructions.

If you have a Caseta dimmer, only the PRO (PD-10NXD) can be used with a mechanical 3-way.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    It would be helpful to know the model number of the dimmer. Since you mention a blue screw it is probably a Maestro dimmer. The MACL-153M is the only Maestro dimmer that will work with a mechanical 3-way. You have to program the dimmer so it knows it is connected to a mechanical 3-way. See step 9 of installation instructions.If you have a Caseta dimmer, only the PRO (PD-10NXD) can be used with a mechanical 3-way.
    I have the Maestro MACL-153MH-WH, it states on the package it works with companion dimmers or standard 3-way switches

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff785 View Post
    I have the Maestro MACL-153MH-WH, it states on the package it works with companion dimmers or standard 3-way switches
    It will work but you need to tell (program) the MACL-153M that it is using a mechanical 3-way instead of a companion dimmers.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com