Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta dimmer switch- can it also be a remote?

Caseta dimmer switch- can it also be a remote?

I have many caseta in-wall switches in my house. In some cases, I would like several circuits to work in conjunction.

For example, I have an outside light switch. But separately I have a remote plug module for my path light transformer.

I would like for when I use the lutron exterior light switch for the path lights to also go on at the same time.

I realize a pico switch can be used to control multiple items at the same time. However, adding a pico switch will work, HOWEVER if someone touches the regular switch, only the outside light will turn on.

The only way I can think of to guarantee consistency is to install the lutron regular wall switch BEHIND a pico switch so that no one actually ever touches it- it's always remote. a bit tricky as I would have to trim off the metal so that it would fit inside the wall-box for the light switch. Probably not to code either.

Anyway, it would be great since these are all connected via wireless if the wall switch could not only be remoted, but also act like a pico remote.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    As it stands today, Caseta dimmers and switches can only control the lights that they are connected to. I would strongly advise against mounting a Pico over a dimmer/switch as it is certainly a code issue and more importantly it also voids your warranty since the product is not rated to be enclosed completely inside of a wallbox and the metal yoke on the unit is used to dissipate heat. Overall it would be a major safety concern.

One thing you could do is gang a Pico next to your outside light switch that would control all of your outdoor lighting. Certainly if you only press the button on the switch it will only turn on the exterior light, but if you press the button on the Pico it would control all of your outdoor lights, or whatever you have it paired with. Perhaps that could work for you.

Thanks Eric-
    While I will avoid putting it behind a pico switch, I will definitely hide it. Unfortunate but necessary.

Turning on the outside lights should not be as complicated as operating a stereo.

Thanks for your help.

Actually Eric-
    It would be great (and good news if it's already available) if lutron provided remote control relays. I already have three situations that will require something like this including the one we just mentioned.
    A relay would simply "on off" a circuit. Right now I have to achieve this function by creating locations for your pluggable dimmers. I am in the process of getting ready to hide another one of those for an outdoor lighting situation.
    One of my remoteable lutron switches will be for a 1500 watt bathroom fan that will warm up the room a little automatically in the morning. It would have been great to just have a remotable relay for that that would sit in a box and then I would just add the pico wall plate. Currently even the "on off" caseta switches can't handle that level of load so I have to put one in line with a relay to achieve the effect.

I have two outdoor strings of lights controlled by the pluggable wall modules now. Because they are so big and because, for some reason, they made the socket go out of the side of them... I had to get extra big outdoor boxes to house them (double gang).

Lutron Technical Support
    Lutron does have RF controllable relays. Model numbers RMJ-5R-DV-B (5 amp switching relay) and RMJ-16R-DV-B (16 amp switching relay). See http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...69428g_ENG.pdf for the spec sheet.

These PowPak relays can be controlled by Pico remote controls and RF Occupancy sensors, but ARE NOT part of the Caseta system, and won't work with the Caseta app.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Lutron does have RF controllable relays. Model numbers RMJ-5R-DV-B (5 amp switching relay) and RMJ-16R-DV-B (16 amp switching relay). See http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...69428g_ENG.pdf for the spec sheet.

These PowPak relays can be controlled by Pico remote controls and RF Occupancy sensors, but ARE NOT part of the Caseta system, and won't work with the Caseta app.

It would be very useful if these could be controlled from the app as well, I have some devices I would like to turn on and off remotely that could use these.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post

It would be very useful if these could be controlled from the app as well, I have some devices I would like to turn on and off remotely that could use these.

Yes it this system really needs the ability for a dimmer/switch to also act like a pico. I hope they add this soon.

Has anyone found any good decora switch guards to cover a dimmer? I'm thinking of using a two-gang wall plate to mount a pico remote next to a dimmer, and covering the dimmer so that my family knows to use the pico in order to control multiple loads. I found http://a.co/4l4qVcW but not sure I like the design. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by AJF4ME View Post
    Yes it this system really needs the ability for a dimmer/switch to also act like a pico. I hope they add this soon.
    2 years later and still nothing. Actually, not much new has been added to the Caseta system since it was introduced. The only reason I can see for this is that they don't want to cannibalize their more expensive systems even though I think most of us have zero chance of upgrading to a dealer installed system. Really disappointing.