Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Smart bridge device limit

Smart bridge device limit

I have a question about the 50 device limit on the smart bridge/pro. On some of the documentation it looks like the pico remote is counted as a device...is this correct? If this is the case then every dimmer or shade will effectively be counted as 2 devices. Is there any way to pair say just the caseta dimmer and not its pico remote with the smart bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
    I have a question about the 50 device limit on the smart bridge/pro. On some of the documentation it looks like the pico remote is counted as a device...is this correct? If this is the case then every dimmer or shade will effectively be counted as 2 devices. Is there any way to pair say just the caseta dimmer and not its pico remote with the smart bridge?
    Well you dont have to use a pico with every shade and dimmer, but more likely you mean you still want the pico to be paired to the dimmer but not the bridge. This is a reasonable train of thought since you can pair two picos to a dimmer in a standalone configuration. However this would mean the bridge would not know when you use the pico and the status of the device(s) in the app would not be correct. You could say 'let the dimmer(s) update the bridge' but this becomes messy and there are limitations on how radio transmitters can be used at this frequency that may prevent this. So basically if you want to use a pico it should be paired with the bridge. Once the dimmer/shade is paired with the bridge it may also lock out pairing to any other devices directly in software so it might not be possible even if you didn't care about the correct status.

How about shades, in the case of serena shades would the pico and shades have to be connected to the hub? The remote/hub really has no idea about the position of the shades as they can be lowered manually. It seems as that Lutron has purposefully neutered the bridge/caseta/serena system with the device limits and lack of repeaters so as not to anger their custom installers. I would purchase this system in a heartbeat if they allowed it to function to its full capability, but the investment in the shades is difficult to make with the limitations on the system. I know I can go with radioora2 but I don't need the additional automation that will justify the additional cost.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    How about shades, in the case of serena shades would the pico and shades have to be connected to the hub? The remote/hub really has no idea about the position of the shades as they can be lowered manually. It seems as that Lutron has purposefully neutered the bridge/caseta/serena system with the device limits and lack of repeaters so as not to anger their custom installers. I would purchase this system in a heartbeat if they allowed it to function to its full capability, but the investment in the shades is difficult to make with the limitations on the system. I know I can go with radioora2 but I don't need the additional automation that will justify the additional cost.
    malba2366,

The Caseta Wireless system is designed for a single room / main area solution. The Smart Bridge has a 30 foot range to devices and does not have repeaters to extend the range. You can add up to 50 devices (Smart Bridge counts as one) as long as they are within 30 feet. If you need to exceed the 30 foot range or 50 device limit then a RadioRA 2 system is recommended.

Each shade/dimmer may not need an individual Pico remote depending on the design and location. With a Smart Bridge you can individually control each shade/dimmer and know it's level through the Lutron App. You can also create up to 50 scenes (manual and scheduled) to control the shades or lights.

Kevin,

can the shades be programmed to the bridge without the Pico. For example a set of 5 shades is connected to the bridge, and the same 5 shades are connected to a pico but the pico is not connected to the bridge to save a device.

Kevin,

can the shades be programmed to the bridge without the Pico. For example a set of 5 shades is connected to the bridge, and the same 5 shades are connected to a pico but the pico is not connected to the bridge to save a device.
    malba2366,

Once the shades are assigned to the Smart Bridge it will remove any local association. The Pico remote will need to be paired to the Smart Bridge if you wish to have that Pico remote control the shades again. You can have one Pico remote control multiple shades if you wish and also have the ability to individually control the shades from the Lutron App.

Kevin,

The device limits and lack of upgrade path is a huge problem with the serena shades currently. Is there any plans to make they upgradeable to support radiora in the future. Currently the smart bridge limitations are fine for me, but at some point in the future I may want to do whole house automation. The serena shades look to be identical to some of the radiora ones so it should not be too difficult to offer an upgrade path.

Kevin,

The device limits and lack of upgrade path is a huge problem with the serena shades currently. Is there any plans to make they upgradeable to support radiora in the future. Currently the smart bridge limitations are fine for me, but at some point in the future I may want to do whole house automation. The serena shades look to be identical to some of the radiora ones so it should not be too difficult to offer an upgrade path.
    malba2366,

Currently, the Serena shades are not able to be added into RadioRA 2 and will require the QS Triathalon or QS Wireless shades.

The Serena shades were designed as standalone shades that can be used with wireless Pico Remotes. The Smart Bridge gives the customer the added option of Serena shades to be controlled as part of the Caseta Wireless system with the Lutron App.

I will pass your feedback along about the upgrade path to RadioRA 2.