Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Handle keypad button press from third party program?

Handle keypad button press from third party program?

I have a Hybrid Keypad and want to use one of the buttons exclusively via third party software. Is this possible, or must a keypad button control a load? I programmed it with no loads, and the third party software gets the monitoring notification that a button was pressed, but the button press also seems to trigger some lights.

I was able to get it to work by programming this button to just having the button set change the timeclock to Normal. On the other button modes with no loads, the third party server doesn't seem to get notified of the button press. Any better approach to this? Is it possible to let third party software to completely "takeover" a Lutron keypad?

Hello

I managed to integrate my RadioRA 2 with EventGhost by using a plugin written by a very helpful user in this forum.

When a button has a load assigned to it, Eventghost sees the button press, and also the led state change.

If you leave a button without any assigned loads EventGhost can see the button press, and can also see the button release, multitap, and hold (i didnt think this was possible but as it turns out it is).

In this case, you would have to control the led state from the third party program as a button press on the button without assigned loads (even though it will turn the physical led on the button on for a couple of seconds) the led change will not be detected by EventGhost.

As far as the hybrid keypad goes, i think that if you manually program the system, there is always a button assigned to the load attached to the keypad.

In my case i programmed via the essentials app, so the load that is physically connected to the hybrid keypad has a separate integration ID from the keypad (as if you had two devices, one keypad and one dimmer). Also, you can have this load assigned to a button on a different non hybrid keypad and you can have all your buttons on that hybrid keypad control other loads that are not the one physically connected to the keypad.

Yes you can let a third party program take over a keypad button or an entire keypad. You will also have to control the led state from the third party program.

Hope this helps

4. Thanks RA2-Designer-Gal thanked for this post
    Likes RA2-Designer-Gal liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.eskinazi View Post
    When a button has a load assigned to it, Eventghost sees the button press, and also the led state change.

If you leave a button without any assigned loads EventGhost can see the button press, and can also see the button release, multitap, and hold (i didnt think this was possible but as it turns out it is).
    Just curious why it is the a release message doesn't get sent when a button with a load programmed to it is pressed. It would be useful to monitor these buttons as well.

Just wanted to bump this. Can we put in a formal request for release and other events to be transmitted on programmed buttons? From my reading of the integration protocol, the release event should be transmitted...

7. Thanks wkearney99 thanked for this post
    Likes wkearney99 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.eskinazi View Post
    Hello

I managed to integrate my RadioRA 2 with EventGhost by using a plugin written by a very helpful user in this forum.

In this case, you would have to control the led state from the third party program as a button press on the button without assigned loads (even though it will turn the physical led on the button on for a couple of seconds) the led change will not be detected by EventGhost.

As far as the hybrid keypad goes, i think that if you manually program the system, there is always a button assigned to the load attached to the keypad.

In my case i programmed via the essentials app, so the load that is physically connected to the hybrid keypad has a separate integration ID from the keypad (as if you had two devices, one keypad and one dimmer). Also, you can have this load assigned to a button on a different non hybrid keypad and you can have all your buttons on that hybrid keypad control other loads that are not the one physically connected to the keypad.

Yes you can let a third party program take over a keypad button or an entire keypad. You will also have to control the led state from the third party program.

Hope this helps
    Are you sure about multi-tap and hold? I do know if you have a "ghost"/unassigned key you will see press/release events (3 & 4 actions). I have not been able to multi-tap coming from a RadioRA2 keypad. Now, I do know with some programming you can have Press/Release on a third party controller emulate multi-tap/hold behavior, but it wouldn't be native in Lutron.

Am I doing something wrong here? Just curious why I'm unable to see true Lutron actions for hold and multi-tap.

Quote Originally Posted by dkulesza View Post
    Are you sure about multi-tap and hold? I do know if you have a "ghost"/unassigned key you will see press/release events (3 & 4 actions). I have not been able to multi-tap coming from a RadioRA2 keypad. Now, I do know with some programming you can have Press/Release on a third party controller emulate multi-tap/hold behavior, but it wouldn't be native in Lutron.

Am I doing something wrong here? Just curious why I'm unable to see true Lutron actions for hold and multi-tap.

I've never seen Lutron actions for hold or multi-tap myself either. I do see discrete press & release actions at the appropriate times, for all Pico and any unprogrammed Keypad presses.

Quote Originally Posted by natem345 View Post
    I've never seen Lutron actions for hold or multi-tap myself either.
    You need HomeWorks QS for that. Documentation is clear on that point, too.