Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hubs that go beyond 50 device limit

Hubs that go beyond 50 device limit

Does anyone have a suggestion for solutions beyond 50 device limit?
    I exceed 50 caseta dimmers, serena shades, and picos. Something with other protocols would be useful: I have some zigbee (Hue), zwave (door locks) and nest devices (therm and smoke). I started with the SBP, then bought SBP2 to work with Apple Homekit. Since there was no efficient way to move devices to the SBP2 at the time, I kept two systems going initially while testing Homekit (which doesn't do anything for shades yet) and then reached 50 limit on SBP2. With two hubs, things are connected but there are two accounts for the app and only one available at a time.

I know of solutions like Wink (not good enough) and Staples Connect or D-link hub. Are any of those comparable to the SBP and do they have the same arbitrary device limit? I want to work with Homekit even though Siri's performance and mistakes embarrass me in front of wife and kids all the time. It will get better.

I'm not looking for cheap systems. The reason I use Lutron Caseta and Serena is because I think they work well and look good. I tried buying other Lutron items that normally only dealers and integrators sell but it is just too painful to get anything. There is a user in the forum called TheVince. I share a similar opinions to some of his posts. I don't want a dealer setting anything up for me. Not because of the cost but because of the principle. I think the 50 device limit is just arbitrary to keep their other dealer only markets (which will be threatened anyway they handle it). i'd be willing to pay a fee to unlock the 50 device limit or buy additional hardware to expand so multiple accounts are not needed. Or get a third party solution to work with the Lutron devices, hence the reason for posting this in third party section.

Quote Originally Posted by plazma View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion for solutions beyond 50 device limit?
    I exceed 50 caseta dimmers, serena shades, and picos. Something with other protocols would be useful: I have some zigbee (Hue), zwave (door locks) and nest devices (therm and smoke). I started with the SBP, then bought SBP2 to work with Apple Homekit. Since there was no efficient way to move devices to the SBP2 at the time, I kept two systems going initially while testing Homekit (which doesn't do anything for shades yet) and then reached 50 limit on SBP2. With two hubs, things are connected but there are two accounts for the app and only one available at a time.

I know of solutions like Wink (not good enough) and Staples Connect or D-link hub. Are any of those comparable to the SBP and do they have the same arbitrary device limit? I want to work with Homekit even though Siri's performance and mistakes embarrass me in front of wife and kids all the time. It will get better.

I'm not looking for cheap systems. The reason I use Lutron Caseta and Serena is because I think they work well and look good. I tried buying other Lutron items that normally only dealers and integrators sell but it is just too painful to get anything. There is a user in the forum called TheVince. I share a similar opinions to some of his posts. I don't want a dealer setting anything up for me. Not because of the cost but because of the principle. I think the 50 device limit is just arbitrary to keep their other dealer only markets (which will be threatened anyway they handle it). i'd be willing to pay a fee to unlock the 50 device limit or buy additional hardware to expand so multiple accounts are not needed. Or get a third party solution to work with the Lutron devices, hence the reason for posting this in third party section.
    As a Lutron dealer, we'd like to support you. I believe you are the customer that would find value in radio ra2 or homeworks QS systems, but you've already made a big investment in Caseta. IF you had the flexibility to do all of the programming in Ra2 or QS yourself but had to purchase hardware through dealer channels, would you make that kind of re-investment?

I'm a DIY person myself, so I appreciate your sentiment. I love my job BECAUSE I get to do all of the setup that you want to do on your own house.

I like the idea of jailbreaking Caseta- I'm wondering if a 3rd party app like IFTTT could be your solution.

anyway that's my 2 cents (and does not necessarily reflect the views of my employer :)

I don't see Ra2 as the next step or the future for that matter. Yes, it has a higher device limit and a greater number of components (keypads, motion sensors, etc), but these limitations seem to be largely self-imposed by Lutron. However, Caseta also has functionality that RR2 does not. The future of these systems has been debated in other threads like the two below:

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...ull=1#post5078

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...ull=1#post4954

you may be able to get multi hub support from Roomie or Irule - can't comment about other integration partners

The limitations ARE entirely self-imposed by Lutron. The Caseta devices are based literally on exactly the same tech as RA2. Lutron has deliberately crippled the Caseta system with device count limits. Meanwhile they've ignored the RA2 need for bridge-like functionality.

It's tragic watching Lutron IGNORE what's emerging in the marketplace.

6. Thanks AJF4ME thanked for this post
    Likes rhett7660 liked this post
    Between various switches,remotes, and shades, I have also reached my 50 device limit. I use Apple's HomeKit to control all my devices, and that is an important component of my home automation system. One solution people have discussed when you reach the 50 device limit, is buying a second smart bridge, creating second account, and adding additional devices to the second bridge. My question about this is whether the second bridge can also integrate with HomeKit at the same time as the first smart bridge. I guess I'm about to test this out, as I already ordered my second SmartBridge.

Quote Originally Posted by shahidhaque View Post
    Between various switches,remotes, and shades, I have also reached my 50 device limit. I use Apple's HomeKit to control all my devices, and that is an important component of my home automation system. One solution people have discussed when you reach the 50 device limit, is buying a second smart bridge, creating second account, and adding additional devices to the second bridge. My question about this is whether the second bridge can also integrate with HomeKit at the same time as the first smart bridge. I guess I'm about to test this out, as I already ordered my second SmartBridge.
    I wonder if you could make any suggestions for getting failed Siri Integration working. I was able to get it to function on my iPad but not the iPhone. On the phone, when I try to Add a Home, it responds with an Unable to add message. i realize I'm not on topic here, but although I've opened a case with Lutron, but got no response yet.

Quote Originally Posted by msterling View Post
    I wonder if you could make any suggestions for getting failed Siri Integration working. I was able to get it to function on my iPad but not the iPhone. On the phone, when I try to Add a Home, it responds with an Unable to add message. i realize I'm not on topic here, but although I've opened a case with Lutron, but got no response yet.
    First, I assume both your iPhone and iPad are using the same iCloud account. If not, they must. On your phone, you should make sure Keychain access is enabled in iCloud. You should also check "approve with security code." Then we may want to hold down the home and power button to restart your phone. If the home information still does not populate, you may want to go into privacy, settings, and reset the HomeKit configuration. Then, hold down the reset button on the smart bridge for about 15 to 20 seconds until it flashes. Finally, add the rooms and devices to the iPhone first. Then it should populate to the iPad.

10. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shahidhaque View Post
    First, I assume both your iPhone and iPad are using the same iCloud account. If not, they must. On your phone, you should make sure Keychain access is enabled in iCloud. You should also check "approve with security code." Then we may want to hold down the home and power button to restart your phone. If the home information still does not populate, you may want to go into privacy, settings, and reset the HomeKit configuration. Then, hold down the reset button on the smart bridge for about 15 to 20 seconds until it flashes. Finally, add the rooms and devices to the iPhone first. Then it should populate to the iPad.
    Problem RESOLVED!
    I just got a response from Zach at Lutron Support. He suggested I completely log out of iCloud from the Phone (keeping all settings on phone when asked). Then I waited a couple of minutes. Then logged back in to iCloud. Made sure Keychain was on. Went back into Lutron App/Siri Integration/Add a Home/Entered name of home. Success. the name was accepted. Added the Setup code. and Siri is now responding correctly. Out of all the things I tried, including the above suggestions I never though about logging out and back into iCloud. Thanks Zack, Lutron Support.

12. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    Likes Zach R. liked this post
    I can confirm that two SmartBridge 2, HomeKit enabled hubs can be on the same network, and both can access the same HomeKit configuration simultaneously. Therefore, a solution to the 50 device limit is to buy a second hub.

14. Likes msterling liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast