Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Database connection failure

Database connection failure

Hi everybody I am new to the forums and am having an issue upgrading to 10.2 from 8.1. The software seemed to download fine. When I try open the program the splash screen comes up and after a few minutes I get the following error messageDatabase connection error (27042): A problem occurred while trying to communicate with the database engine on this computer (while loading modelinfo data), Often restarting the application will resolve he error. If this error continues, restart the computer.Restarting the program or the computer does nothing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program and that does nothing. I have been in contact with tech support and I am currently waiting on a response from the engineering department. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've heard some people have had a little bit of trouble going from 8.xx to 10.x. Tech can hook you up with a tinyurl for 9.xx and stepping up through the 9 series seems to help.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hi Scott, if you email into SystemSupport@lutron.com we can send you steps on resolving this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    Hi Scott, if you email into SystemSupport@lutron.com we can send you steps on resolving this issue.
    I have had this problem for a week now and have no help from Lutron on this. Sitting on two shade installations worth about $50,000 and I can't even program them. I have had to hire an IT guy to see if he can figure out what is wrong with the program. If this has been around since July, and you have to beg for help is it really worth the investment to continue selling Lutron shades or lighting control? Each day that goes by without support, Somfy and Qmotion are looking better each day. At least I can open their program software.

redjeep77- have you called Lutron customer service or tech support? They generally stay on the call until the problem is solved. If you have problems getting the software, contact me through my user info and I'll see if I can't direct you to the best place.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by redjeep77 View Post
    I have had this problem for a week now and have no help from Lutron on this. Sitting on two shade installations worth about $50,000 and I can't even program them. I have had to hire an IT guy to see if he can figure out what is wrong with the program. If this has been around since July, and you have to beg for help is it really worth the investment to continue selling Lutron shades or lighting control? Each day that goes by without support, Somfy and Qmotion are looking better each day. At least I can open their program software.
    call support, submit a support a support file...

I had issues too with the newer version, both issues were resolved with help by calling. It was windows firewall, but not the settings everyone looks at. It was in the advanced firewall settings. Turning off the Windows firewall from control panel doesn't fully turn it off.

Other issue was with the network switch. Lutron support helped me pin point it and fix it.

7. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Pretty much every connection issue I've had with Homeworks QS or RA2 has been resolved by disabling my firewall. What's so hard about this that Lutron can't solve the issue without resorting to putting our computer at risk? It's only Lutron too, not the other companies.

I have had a few issues with "smart" switches that block some of the protocols too. Was making some updates to a job with 175 devices. Nothing like seeing 79 devices fail to transfer at 4:30 on a Friday. My temp fix is make the transfer using my own switch then reconnecting the two main repeaters back up to the smart switch after. The odd thing is it's only an issue on transfer. The other traffic between the main repeaters always makes it through. Someone else did network so I can't get into the config of the switch... BTW you can always turn the firewall back on once you compete activation and transfer.

In another thread a Lutron rep denied any issues and said that they use multicast often and there is likely other traffic causing issues. I don't buy it to be honest because the routers millionaires have in their homes rival that of many mid-sized companies! I too had have to deal with dozens of errors right before having to go home and in one case, in earlier days of RA2 couldn't get things to work and had to turn the breakers off so the homeowners could sleep and come back the next day to factory default 190 devices (many in attics) and start over with activation.

In today's adventure I had THREE devices. Took about an hour to direct connect, disable firewall, cha the the settings etc. After that, the router works just fine with it but why do they not let it adapt to the network automatically initially like every single other device is frustrating. (See my other rant). I wasted a few hours that I won't get paid for on a very busy day. Not sure if it's bad design or bad QC.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    SparkyCoog,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations of dealing with networking issues and Radio RA2.

Perhaps as a remedial answer just always use a secondary work router to get the system up and functional and then move the Main Repeater(s)/ Connect Bridge to the clients network. May seem like more work than necessary, however, this would ensure you would never waste your time. But it's up to you on how you want to handle it.

Additionally, its in the nature of how the software GUI tries to talk to the Main Repeater(s)/ Bridge on the network that causes you to run into this problem. The software is treated as an inbound request to target an IP address on the network. Typically speaking, Windows and networking firewalls would not upfront allow this unless the device itself on the network (the Main Repeater) tried going outbound (which would allow the port communication since the existing device on the network is requesting it). Lutron processors, so Main Repeaters or a Homework's HQP6-2, do not continuously request to the router to allow access.

Its sort of a catch 22.
    Either have the processors flood the network to ensure the communication is always allowed, or, temporarily manage the firewall to make it easier for the inbound access from the GUI to start up the communication.

Either way there is some form of a problem that could potentially exist.

Hope this helped shed some light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast