Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: L-BDG-WH vs. L-BDG2-WH Capabilities?

L-BDG-WH vs. L-BDG2-WH Capabilities?

What is the difference in capabilities between the L-BDG-WH vs. L-BDG2-WH bridges?

2. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post
    Likes Dimerize liked this post
    Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by MAlvis View Post
    What is the difference in capabilities between the L-BDG-WH vs. L-BDG2-WH bridges?
    The only difference is that the L-BDG2-WH is HomeKit/Siri capable, and the L-BDG-WH is not HomeKit/Siri capable.

Otherwise, they both have the same past and future Caseta function and control capabilities.

4. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post
    Likes Dimerize liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    The only difference is that the L-BDG2-WH is HomeKit/Siri capable, and the L-BDG-WH is not HomeKit/Siri capable.

Otherwise, they both have the same past and future Caseta function and control capabilities.
    So, if I understand correctly, for non Apple phone users, e.g. Android users, the L-BDG2-WH does NOT offer any advantages.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by MAlvis View Post
    So, if I understand correctly, for non Apple phone users, e.g. Android users, the L-BDG2-WH does NOT offer any advantages.
    You are absolutely correct.

7. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post

I just got an L-BDG and it has a sticker in the front that says "Works with Apple HomeKit", so is there really today a difference between L-BDG and L-BDG2?

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimerize View Post
    I just got an L-BDG and it has a sticker in the front that says "Works with Apple HomeKit", so is there really today a difference between L-BDG and L-BDG2?
    The L-BDG should not have had a "Works with Apple HomeKit" sticker on it as it doesn't have the required internal hardware that is needed for it to interface with Apple HomeKit.

10. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post
    The picture below shows a Caseta kit (inwall dimmer + smart bridge + pico) and we notice the Apple HomeKit sticker on the left side. On the lower right side we notice the model of the bridge, which is L-BDG. Upon inquiring with Lutron in Coopersburg, Jim told me the L-BDG2 was a temporary model # for when Apple HK came out, but by now all smart bridges are HK enabled and back with the original model #.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	425

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimerize View Post
    The picture below shows a Caseta kit (inwall dimmer + smart bridge + pico) and we notice the Apple HomeKit sticker on the left side. On the lower right side we notice the model of the bridge, which is L-BDG. Upon inquiring with Lutron in Coopersburg, Jim told me the L-BDG2 was a temporary model # for when Apple HK came out, but by now all smart bridges are HK enabled and back with the original model #.

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	425
    What is the number on the back of the bridge (the number on the next line directly below where it says "Caseta Wireless")?

Indeed it says L-BDG2 on the bridge's label (attached picture). So L-BDG on the box and L-BDG2 on the device inside the box: how confusing!

Name:	IMG_3810.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	426

Lutron Technical Support
    I see how this can be confusing. The bridge you have is definitely HomeKit compatible.

I'll have to talk with our engineers and marketing departments. Thanks for the heads-up.

15. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post