Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete Home Solution

Complete Home Solution

So I know it has been asked before but can this system run a whole house? I have a new build that is approximately 2900 sq ft. I'm not sure I want to spend RadioRA2 due to the price. It sucks that there are no motion sensors, keypads or ceiling fan controls, but I cannot ignore my budget. What do you think?

Depends on your needs. I have a new 3,000 sq/ft home with a first floor master it and use it for my entire first floor.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Caseta can certainly be used as a whole home lighting control solution, but there are a couple things to note.

1. The Smart Bridge has an RF range of 30 ft. in all directions. This roughly equates to a home of about 2500 to 3000 sq. ft. If you are able to centrally locate the Smart Bridge in your home and run an Ethernet connection back to your Wi-Fi router you will optimize the RF coverage. The more open concept your home is, the better.

2. The Smart Bridge has a maximum device limit of 50 and the bridge counts as 1 device. Every dimmer, switch, Pico remote and shade also count as a device so make sure you won't be exceeding 50 (or really 49) devices in your home. There's also a limit of 1 Smart Bridge per system. It is possible to have more than one Smart Bridge in your home but I wouldn't recommend doing that since you'll need to create a unique account for each bridge meaning you'll need to log out of one system and into another system to control the whole house, which would create a bad user experience.

In regards to your other comments, you can use Lutron wireless occupancy sensors with Caseta dimmer and switches in standalone mode, meaning they cannot be paired to the Smart Bridge or controlled from the app. I have several rooms in my home with Caseta dimmers and occupancy sensors and have no need to have them be controlled by the app. The rooms I use them in are my bathrooms, mud room and walk-in closets. I have no need to schedule the lights in these rooms or control them with the app since the sensors handle the automation for me. Just something to consider in your application.

Also, Caseta does not offer keypads like RadioRA 2 does, but you can use the Caseta 4-button Pico's which have a keypad looking aesthetic. The list of 4-button Pico's that work with Caseta can be found on this page, http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/ProProducts.aspx. You can also get the buttons custom engraved for an added charge.

Lastly, Caseta currently does not support fan speed controls, however, many people use the Caseta on/off switch to control ceiling fans. You won't be able to adjust the speed of the fan, but using the Caseta switch would allow you to control your fans from the app, schedule them to turn on/off at certain times and add them to scenes.

Hope this helps answer your questions. If not, please let me know.

Another consideration could be to plan your RR2 installation and finish rooms or areas as your budget permits. I strongly believe the RR2 product has value when extending a system past 1 room, or 1 living area.

We have one client who has been slowly adding to their system for almost 5 years - at the time Caseta was not an option, however if we would have opted for it initially, we would have far out grown it's capabilities over time.

5. Likes Dimerize liked this post
    Thanks so much for all of the infeomation. Based on my research, lutron seems to be the best lighting system I can buy. I have a control4 dealer I am looking to integrate with. He was really pushing their own Zigbee switches hard. Seems like Lutron is compatible with many other systems and would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake0508 View Post
    Thanks so much for all of the infeomation. Based on my research, lutron seems to be the best lighting system I can buy. I have a control4 dealer I am looking to integrate with. He was really pushing their own Zigbee switches hard. Seems like Lutron is compatible with many other systems and would be a better choice.
    Bare in mind RadioRA2 offers a myriad of programming capabilities and, most important, a full line of dimmers for almost all types of loads. That's not the case for Caseta. Caseta is very limited in which types of loads it can dim and control: Inc., Halo, LED bulb (bulb, not fixture), MLV, light switch, and on/off fan. For example, if you need to dim a light dimmable via ELV (TRIAC) or 0-10V method, Caseta won't have an in-wall dimmer for that. RadioRA 2 has them, including controls for appliance loads up to 15A, fan control, occupancy sensors, light sensors, and so on. The possibilities are endless. In NYC I install Caseta in one to two-bedroom apartments that don't have complicated fixtures. Passed that, RA2 is the only reasonable option, even for coverage, as you can add repeaters to the system and it will support up to 200 devices with two Main Repeaters. The 30 ft radius in Caseta is theoretical.

So regarding the choice between Lutron RR2 and Control4 zigbee lighting, can a Lutron keypad be assigned a scene consisting of things other than lighting? Like music and spa fountain for a party mode through the Control4 controller?

So regarding the choice between Lutron RR2 and Control4 zigbee lighting, can a Lutron keypad be assigned a scene consisting of things other than lighting? Like music and spa fountain for a party mode through the Control4 controller?
    I don't know about Control4, but Autonomic has integration with the seeTouch keypad. The system is called eSeries, see attached picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4021.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	5.76 MB 
ID:	459

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Yes, the Control4 system can monitor button presses and releases in the Lutron system and in turn trigger events in the Control4 system.

Does this mean from a user perspective (not programming), both Control4/Lutron lighting solutions function the same when used with Control4 main processor for whole home automation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast