Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: On/Off appliance control desperately needed

On/Off appliance control desperately needed

Will there be any On/off appliance module coming out soon on Caseta?

I work for a lighting agency that represents Lutron. I have already done 6 Caseta training sessions at various distributors.

This is a question I get asked at every session I have done. And is the reason most electricians are not sold on the whole Lutron Caseta system.

Everyone agrees that Lutron is the King Pin for lighting control, however they have all found something missing from the Caseta system to not promote it to an end user, when products such as WINK provide the clear connect protocol, but also allow for on/off appliance control using a different radio.

I do understand that Caseta is not a replacement for RadioRa2, however a few more accessories would help fill in some holes, therefor better competing with the (flaky at best) home automation hubs out there.

My distributors/electrician have shown great interest in the potential of Caseta, and understand how reliable Lutron is.

They have all asked the same thing of Lutron. "Please add some more components"

Thanks for your time.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by LightingUup View Post
    Will there be any On/off appliance module coming out soon on Caseta?

I work for a lighting agency that represents Lutron. I have already done 6 Caseta training sessions at various distributors.

This is a question I get asked at every session I have done. And is the reason most electricians are not sold on the whole Lutron Caseta system.

Everyone agrees that Lutron is the King Pin for lighting control, however they have all found something missing from the Caseta system to not promote it to an end user, when products such as WINK provide the clear connect protocol, but also allow for on/off appliance control using a different radio.

I do understand that Caseta is not a replacement for RadioRa2, however a few more accessories would help fill in some holes, therefor better competing with the (flaky at best) home automation hubs out there.

My distributors/electrician have shown great interest in the potential of Caseta, and understand how reliable Lutron is.

They have all asked the same thing of Lutron. "Please add some more components"

Thanks for your time.
    LightingUup,

Currently, Caseta Wireless does not offer an switching appliance module.

Thank you for the feedback. I have passed this feedback along to the Caseta Wireless development team.

What you are looking for is the Staples Connect Hub, made by D-Link. Lutron has partnered with Staples on this hub and, surprisingly, it works really well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StapleConnectHub.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	318

If you add the Staples Connect Hub (buy version 2, made by D-Link, not V1 made by Linksys), you can then use a number of different protocol appliance modules and they will all work seamlessly with your Caseta devices.

Currently I'm using the cheap, high-quality Aeon Labs Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch -- here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XPXJV3WJLBERE6 -- and it works perfectly. Once you have the hub in, you can operate cross-protocol. For example, I have Caseta Clear Connect Pico switches controlling Z-Wave modules, and Z-Wave motion sensors controlling Caseta dimmers. The Hub also supports devices from Leviton, Philips, GE, WeMo, Honeywell, and many more.

Here's the Staples Connect Hub: http://www.staples.com/D-Link-Staple...roduct_1181115

Best part: if you buy two or more control modules for at least $30 each, Staples will give you the hub FOR FREE. Use coupon code 29131.