Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Automatic Off Sequence

Authorized Lutron Contributor

Automatic Off Sequence

We received this question from a customer, and thought others might be interested in this topic...

How can I program a Maestro Switch to automatically turn off after 10 minutes? I also want the switch to turn off when I press it a second time, but if I turn it on again within 10 minutes it will reset the 10 minute timer.
    Last edited by Ty W.; 08-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Currently the only way to accomplish this programming is by creating an automatic sequence. Steps 1 of the sequence will turn the lights on and with the option to automatically move to next step selected. You would then set this time to 10 minutes. On step 2 of the sequence you would have the load turn off.

On the dimmer you would assign "On" tab you would assign the sequence to start/next. On the "Off" tab you would assign the second step of the sequence.

NOTE: When turning the load on and off from the dimmer you will notice the load will start to dim, then will have a slight flicker, and then will continue to dim. This slight flicker is caused by the lights responding to the dimmer and then getting the command from the system to start dimming from the automatic sequence.
    Last edited by Ty W.; 08-12-2013 at 09:16 AM.

We received this follow-up question from a customer...

Would adjusting the fade rate reduce the flicker effect? Is there a recommended fade rate for this application?

We received this follow-up question from a customer...

Can we program the sequence to not do anything on the first step and automatically go to the second step after ten minutes? The second step will then turn the load off.

Would this cause any issues?
    Last edited by Ty W.; 08-13-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Yes you can have the first preset not have anything assigned to it. However after a transfer the first time you use the local control the light will still have a slight flicker. After the initial time you use the local control it will not flicker again until another transfer is done.

I have been unable to get a timed-off from Maestro to work without a flicker even after the first cycle post-transfer. Could someone post an example of how to make a timed-off for a dimming Maestro? Thanks.

A dimmer will have a slight flicker as the dimmer will immediately begin to control the light and then the sequence will start after that. This causes the lights to begin to dim down slightly and then back up as the dimmer receives the command to start the sequence.