Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Diva Dimmers and delays

Red face Diva Dimmers and delays

I spoke to someone this afternoon as I believed I was experiencing a longer than normal delay before my new LED canned lighting lit up, so the suggestion was made to see if the delay still occured if I replaced the LED lightbulbs with incandescent bulbs. I did that, and while there was still a delay, it appears to be slightly shorter with the incandescent bulbs. Honestly, I am not sure how accurate my timing was, or even what is acceptable so I am hoping to get feedback and/or suggestions.

Here are my specs:

We have two banks of 4 Cans, each of the banks is set up as a 3-way (with a regular paddle and a paddle with dimming) The dimmers that we are using are the DIVA DVWCL-153PH-LA and the bulbs we are using are the FEIT R20 flood lights, which are listed on the compatibility list. If I understand correctly, these dimmers have a microprocessor, which allows for more bulbs to be compatible and that takes about .4 seconds to fire the load. When I timed the incandescent bulbs, It probably took about a second, or just under for them to light up, and when I used the LED bulbs, it probably took .25 to .5 seconds longer. Probably acceptable, but just not sure. It seemed longer before I actually timed it.

My questions are these:
    1. Is that an acceptable delay if it is over 1 second?
    2. If not are there better dimmers I should try, like the Maestro or something that is just rated for LED bulbs as opposed to halogens, incandescents or LED bulbs?

thanks in advance,

Pete F.
    Thank you for your post. The dimmer itself has a .4 second delay. This is due to a microprocessor being added to the dimmer to increase the number of bulbs that are compatible with this dimmer. If the LEDs you are using have a .5 second delay, the total delay will be about a second. As you have tried an incandescent bulb and the delay was less, this shows the LEDs are adding to the turn on time. You can definitely try a Maestro C•L dimmer(MACL-153M-WH), however the LEDs you are using may not be compatible with that dimmer. We would recommend using an LED that appears on the Compatible Bulb List for whatever dimmer you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
    Thank you for your post. The dimmer itself has a .4 second delay. This is due to a microprocessor being added to the dimmer to increase the number of bulbs that are compatible with this dimmer. If the LEDs you are using have a .5 second delay, the total delay will be about a second. As you have tried an incandescent bulb and the delay was less, this shows the LEDs are adding to the turn on time. You can definitely try a Maestro C•L dimmer(MACL-153M-WH), however the LEDs you are using may not be compatible with that dimmer. We would recommend using an LED that appears on the Compatible Bulb List for whatever dimmer you use.
    Thanks Pete. I have bulbs, which are listed on the compatible bulb list, so I will probably just stick with the DIVA dimmers as I do not imagine the Maestro will improve performance, much if any. I think I probably just needed to realize that there would be a small delay, and was not sure if that was how they worked, or if we possibly had installed and wired them incorrectly.

thanks for the response,

Nat