Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 4 light switches teamed peer-to-peer??

4 light switches teamed peer-to-peer??

I have 4 outside security lights on 4 switches scattered throughout the house. How can I light ALL if ANY is switched on...w/o a major rewire job? Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    I have 4 outside security lights on 4 switches scattered throughout the house. How can I light ALL if ANY is switched on...w/o a major rewire job? Many thanks in advance.
    If that is all you want to do, consider insteon.

Insteon? Can you be more specific?

Wow - I so do not suggest Insteon.

Depending on your budget - you can put in 4 switches (or better yet dimmers if the bulbs are dimmable) and upsize the wallplate, install a wallplate adapter with a pico at each location that is paired to all 4 lights. Not an extremely expensive project and you can do this in Maestro Wireless or even better RadioRA 2. Be sure to do a 5th pico for your bedroom panic button too.

If you go RA2 - you can later add in the smartphone and tablet controls. But I will warn you - this fast becomes an addictive hobby as you will want to control everything after this project.

If you need help - let message me as I can ship this out to you fully programmed. You just have to pick your color.

Sincerely,
    Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by RA2-Designer-Gal View Post
    Wow - I so do not suggest Insteon.

Depending on your budget - you can put in 4 switches (or better yet dimmers if the bulbs are dimmable) and upsize the wallplate, install a wallplate adapter with a pico at each location that is paired to all 4 lights. Not an extremely expensive project and you can do this in Maestro Wireless or even better RadioRA 2. Be sure to do a 5th pico for your bedroom panic button too.

If you go RA2 - you can later add in the smartphone and tablet controls. But I will warn you - this fast becomes an addictive hobby as you will want to control everything after this project.

If you need help - let message me as I can ship this out to you fully programmed. You just have to pick your color.

Sincerely,
    Teresa
    Wow back. You are certainly entitled to your opinion (and sales pitch), but compared to your procedure and required purchases above, with insteon you just:

1. replace each of the 4 switches with an insteon switchlinc dimmer/switch
    2. hold down the buttons on those insteon devices a few times to link them together
    3. it just works. done!

You can add smartphone/tablet control later as well.

I'll leave the cost comparison to the reader. Insteon is quite reliable in my experience.

But if you want to use Lutron products and you don't mind installing the extra Pico remotes and the RF range is not an issue I would suggest the Caseta Dimmers/Switches. They are available at major retailers and they come in a kit with a dimmer + pico.

Unlike maestro they still leave the option to upgrade to smartphone/tablet control.

I personally tried Insteon before finding Lutron and it was more like Inste-not-on or sometimes on. X10 was more reliable than my Insteon system. Was so happy someone on eBay took the set off my hands.

Love Maestro Wireless as I am addicted to motion sensors - like having staff - lights fade on when you enter the room and fade off when you leave.

I finally upgraded to RA2 a few years ago and am totally thrilled with the integration and keypads. I am so addicted to keypads.

Plus once I started programming - I have about 15 clients now that have also parted with Insteon and upgraded to RA2 that just rave about the convenience + aesthetics - Lutron devices are just gorgeous - but they also offer significant energy savings and bulb longevity!

Caesta is a budget friendly option but no keypads and maxes out around 50 devices so not an option for most of my clients as it doesn't take long to get to 50 when becomes addicted to home automation and starts adding in motion sensors and picos. Plus I hide all my dimmers & switches in my closets or basement so I could just run keypads in my rooms. The looks is amazing but convenience + gorgeous can be on the spendy side! Just depends on what your end goal is. If just those 4 outside lights - I'd still stay with Maestro Wireless. Robust and just always works.

Best of luck to you either way!