Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windows App for Radio RA 2 - Staples Connect by zonoff?

Windows App for Radio RA 2 - Staples Connect by zonoff?

I for the life of me can't find anything that allows me to control RadioRA 2 devices directly from a Windows PC, or Windows Tablet. Does anyone know of any solutions?

I've stumbled across the Staples Connect app for Lutron Caseta. Is there any compatibility with their app and RadioRA 2? You'd think that since RadioRA was the more expensive solution that you'd get everything that Caseta has and more...I'd buy their gateway if I knew that it would control RadioRA.

While I'd just want a Mac app, I'm not aware of anything like this. Home automation solutions that connect to RS-232 or the VCRX could work.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    There is currently not a way to control the Lutron RadioRA2 system directly from a Windows PC or tablet. This feedback has been passed along to the development team.

Or Mac!

If you're going to develop something, please please make it cross-platform.

Using Xcode that you developed the iOS apps in, you could pretty easily create a version to distribute through the Mac AppStore. It could be a clone of the iPad version, but some tweaks would make it better.

So this is way I added pc controls to my own RA2 system and a few other clients:

Bought an Simon XTI Touchscreen security panel
    (there are other security panel brands you can do this with)
    Installed an alarm.com GSM Cell Modem in it
    Signed up for alarm.com self monitoring service for the panel
    And paired the RA2 repeaters to the system via the alarm.com online integration

The only slight draw back is that you have to go through a dealer to get the service so I had to add one more hat that I have to manage for my clients. But the integration is not expensive and it is so amazing plus you can control your lights and shades via the alarm.com portal and the alarm.com smartphone app as well.

Thermostat integration is not released yet but promised. So if you want pc control plus if you want your lights to turn off when you arm your security system to leave or turn on when you disarm your system to return home - this is a great option. You can view more here: http://www.alarm.com/US/RA2-Security-Integration

I know there is an app note regarding this but I can't seem to locate the link right now. If you need it - message me and I will search in more depth for you.

Good luck!

A quick workaround as stated by RA2-Designer-Gal is to utilize the alarm.com and Lutron integration.
    It works pretty well, though there are a few rough spots like
    1. Having the provider (e.g. - FrontPoint Security) query the Main Repeater each time a change is made - new physical or virtual control or switch is added or deleted.
    2. The smartphone app UI lists all controls (switches, virtual buttons) in a different manner (given names in alphabetical order - e.g. arbor, corridor, dining, entryway, foyer) vs the web based UI which groups the switches accordingly to the assigned zone.
    3. Controlling dimmers on the smartphone app is not intuitive and difficult to activate.
    4. There is no indication of what controls are activated.

The proper fix imo is that Luton should release a software developer's SDK to enable the creation of custom control software on all major OS platforms (Android/ Linux, OS X/ iOS, Windows, ...).

7. Thanks RA2-Designer-Gal thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RA2-Designer-Gal View Post
    So this is way I added pc controls to my own RA2 system and a few other clients:

Bought an Simon XTI Touchscreen security panel
    (there are other security panel brands you can do this with)
    Installed an alarm.com GSM Cell Modem in it
    Signed up for alarm.com self monitoring service for the panel
    And paired the RA2 repeaters to the system via the alarm.com online integration

The only slight draw back is that you have to go through a dealer to get the service so I had to add one more hat that I have to manage for my clients. But the integration is not expensive and it is so amazing plus you can control your lights and shades via the alarm.com portal and the alarm.com smartphone app as well.

Thermostat integration is not released yet but promised. So if you want pc control plus if you want your lights to turn off when you arm your security system to leave or turn on when you disarm your system to return home - this is a great option. You can view more here: http://www.alarm.com/US/RA2-Security-Integration

I know there is an app note regarding this but I can't seem to locate the link right now. If you need it - message me and I will search in more depth for you.

Good luck!

P.S. I designed virtual keypads to work with the alarm.com system so I didn't have to hunt for the devices I wanted to control.

Member Bktay is correct - Controlling devices on the smartphone app is not intuitive and a tad bit difficult to activate/navigate otherwise.