Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Smart bridge pro and integration protocol

  1. #1

    Smart bridge pro and integration protocol

    Hello.
    My question might be a bit advanced for this forum, but here it is:

    The smart bridge pro (SMBPro for the rest of this text) supports integration with 3rd party vendors, so its gotta have some way to communicate with these other pieces of hardware. Typically, these system use simple text based protocols on RS232 or raw-ethernet (in other words: telnet to port 23). So I found the lutron integration protocol description(http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum...ary/040249.pdf) and it's pretty much exactly as I thought.

    However, the paper only covers 4 systems: RRA2, HomeworkQS, QS Network interface, and Clear Connect Gateway. Am I correct to say that the SMBPro is pretty much an SMB with a clear connect gateway? Or maybe just a basic variant (with no webserver and stuff, but keeping the telnet access)?

    In any case, is the integration protocol available on the SMBPro? For example, can I telnet to it and send
    #OUTPUT,1,1,75,00:05<CR><LF> to dim a light to 75% over 5 seconds? Looking at the .c4i files provided by Control4, I would bet the SMBPro uses the same protocol as all the other systems (which would make sense, since they're all the same clear connect protocol on 435Mhz, and many devices such as the Pico work across systems, so, yeah, makes sense...). Am I correct? If not, is there any other protocol one could use to "talk" to the SMBPro?

    If so, that would be awesome. Since there's no Windows software to control the SMBPro, it would be nice to have a way to do it. My goal isn't to compete with the vendors on the "Alliances" list, but just to turn on/off my lights and shades using my PC or raspberry-PI (the R-PI is my media center, to turning off the lights and lowering the blinds when I turn on the TV would make sense).

    Have a good day

    Vinny

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVince View Post
    Hello.
    My question might be a bit advanced for this forum, but here it is:

    The smart bridge pro (SMBPro for the rest of this text) supports integration with 3rd party vendors, so its gotta have some way to communicate with these other pieces of hardware. Typically, these system use simple text based protocols on RS232 or raw-ethernet (in other words: telnet to port 23). So I found the lutron integration protocol description(http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum...ary/040249.pdf) and it's pretty much exactly as I thought.

    However, the paper only covers 4 systems: RRA2, HomeworkQS, QS Network interface, and Clear Connect Gateway. Am I correct to say that the SMBPro is pretty much an SMB with a clear connect gateway? Or maybe just a basic variant (with no webserver and stuff, but keeping the telnet access)?

    In any case, is the integration protocol available on the SMBPro? For example, can I telnet to it and send
    #OUTPUT,1,1,75,00:05<CR><LF> to dim a light to 75% over 5 seconds? Looking at the .c4i files provided by Control4, I would bet the SMBPro uses the same protocol as all the other systems (which would make sense, since they're all the same clear connect protocol on 435Mhz, and many devices such as the Pico work across systems, so, yeah, makes sense...). Am I correct? If not, is there any other protocol one could use to "talk" to the SMBPro?

    If so, that would be awesome. Since there's no Windows software to control the SMBPro, it would be nice to have a way to do it. My goal isn't to compete with the vendors on the "Alliances" list, but just to turn on/off my lights and shades using my PC or raspberry-PI (the R-PI is my media center, to turning off the lights and lowering the blinds when I turn on the TV would make sense).

    Have a good day

    Vinny
    Vinny,

    The Smart Bridge Pro does not use an open integration protocol like the systems called out in the Lutron integration protocol document.

    The Smart Bridge Pro works with many top brand security and A/V systems which can be found at http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Alliances.aspx. The partners listed on that page have worked closely with Lutron in order to integrate the Smart Bridge Pro with their system. Lutron continues to work with numerous partners in an effort to expand our list of compatible 3rd party systems.

    Thank you for your feedback. We’ve passed this information on to our Caséta Wireless development team.

  3. #3
    Hi Kevin, thanks for the answer.

    Is there any way for a DIYer to get the same kind of infos that 3rd party A/V partners get to integrate their stuff? Some partner program that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, yet wouldn't offer any support from Lutron?

    The way I see it I could probably fire up Wireshark, and by analyzing the traffic between an harmony remote and the SMBPro (or I could probably just analyze the traffic between the Android App and the SMBPro and skip the middleman altogether) and unless it's heavily encrypted I could probably spoof any 3rtd party, or even spoof the app itself. This is a long and tedious task, even if nothing is encrypted (not my idea of a fun week-end!) to get there considering all that info is in a document sitting nicely at Lutron's HQ though. If there's no official way for a DIYer to get those infos, maybe you could informally hook me up with someone in the caseta dev team who'd be nice enough send me a page of doc or 2?

    My other option would be to open a Pico remote and see if I can get something like an arduino to use the radio in the Pico, but that wouldn't be as clean as solution as just controlling the bridge.

    Have a good day

    Vinny

  4. #4
    Well, I was just reading this other thread (https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...-Gateway/page4) and it seems like I'm definitely not the only one who'd like to telnet into the SMBPro and control a light or two.

    Very sad it it's possible by design but blocked by policy. Would be kinda frustrating actually.

  5. #5
    If you've tested the commands and they work, use them. Oh you said "can I" but you meant "I can". They are most likely 'secret' because: 1). No tech support, and 2.) Bizdev. But honestly I would be surprised if iRule was using any different API than this. Some of the other partners may be using cloud APIs that are significantly different.

  6. #6
    So I just ordered a SMBPro. Should get here next week or so. I've posted another thread in the programming section to move the technical discussion there if you're interested:
    https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...-on-the-SMBPro

    Vinny

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVince View Post
    I've posted another thread in the programming section to move the technical discussion there if you're interested:
    https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...-on-the-SMBPro

    Vinny
    What happened to this thread? Did it get censored? Vinny, if you've learned anything send me a PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    What happened to this thread? Did it get censored? Vinny, if you've learned anything send me a PM.
    LOL, PMs are not available on this forum. But you're right, my thread got censored. I don't blame them really, Kevin explained why, and I'm fine with that explanation.

    Since then though, I got everything I wanted. I might (and when I say might, I mean there's a very LOW probability that I will) make a codeproject or github, or whatever the kids use these days, to cover this stuff.

    My end goal is to be able to just sit on my coach, say "Jarvis, turn on the light" and have the light magically turn on. The whole Jarvis thing still needs some work but the part about turning lights on and off and shades up and down is done.

    You can leave your email address if you want though, we can communicate outside of this forum. I'm not sure what you want to achieve exactly, but keep in mind that all this mumb-jumbo is a bit technical, so if you don't know programming (not talking about basic if/else/for here, I'm talking about at least being proficient with socket programming), you might wanna rethink your strategy.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1
    Vinny,

    sorry to to piggyback on this but I would really love to pick your brain about this for just a few minutes. I have a strong programming background and am about to pull the trigger on buying a SBP and need to make sure I can do what I want with the device. If you have a few minutes can you please reach out to me at:


    would really appreciate it! Thanks!
    Last edited by Kevin P.; 04-29-2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: removed email address

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunzio View Post
    Vinny,

    sorry to to piggyback on this but I would really love to pick your brain about this for just a few minutes. I have a strong programming background and am about to pull the trigger on buying a SBP and need to make sure I can do what I want with the device. If you have a few minutes can you please reach out to me at:


    would really appreciate it! Thanks!
    Maybe we should start a support group. Like Lutron-DIYers Anonymous. Could be LA instead of AA. We could each have a sponsor and make pins if we stay sober for a year and stuff :)
    Last edited by Kevin P.; 04-29-2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: remove email from quote

  11. Likes veeeh liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about smart bridge/smart bridge Pro
    By TheVince in forum General Discussion - CAS
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-30-2016, 01:33 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 05:15 PM
  3. Smart Bridge Pro
    By sjsmd in forum General Discussion - CAS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 09:19 AM
  4. lutron smart bridge vs smart brigde pro
    By bastor in forum General Discussion - CAS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 05:28 PM
  5. HomeWorks Original Integration Protocol
    By Armando B. in forum 3rd-party Integration - Legacy HW
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •