We just finished building a new house 4 months ago. All lights in the house are NIC-DLR56-3K LED can-lights (http://www.nicorlighting.com/catalog/item/DLR56-3000K) with 36000 lifespan hours.
Today we had the electrician installed the Caseta dimmers on several rooms, including the same can-lights for the outdoor patios.
1. In some of the rooms, we could hear the buzzing noise coming from the LED bulbs. The noise is not too loud, but is noticeable especially when it is dimmed to the lowest setting, regardless if done via the wall unit -or- the iphone app
2. One of the Case dimmers had a high pitch noise coming from the dimmer unit itself
We called the Lutron tech support and they said the Nicor can-light was not one of the units they had tested, thus they could not guarantee that the dimmer is compatible with the bulb.
We called the Nicor tech support and they said they never heard about the Caseta brand, in fact, they recommended to only use Lutron Diva or Maestro.
1. Will either the bulbs or the Caseta unit eventually fail (or short lifespan on the can-light) due to the buzzing noise?
2. If we use Lutron Diva or Maestro can it still be controllable through open source the iphone app? We love the ability that we can control the lights anywhere outside the house with the app, but if we have to deal with the buzzing noise maybe we prefer not to use Lutron Caseta at all. Prior the switch, there was no buzzing noise coming from any canlights nor the light switches.
3. In the cold winter weather, will there problems with outdoor can-lights that have the buzzing noise?
Anyone has this problem? Any advice?