Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Caseta won't turn on... or takes a long time

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3

    Caseta won't turn on... or takes a long time

    I am completing a remodel with a full caseta system throughout the house. My electrician originally put in some crappy 4in trim kits that flickered. I replaced them with ELCO MR-16 LED bulbs as I had a friend who had success with them in the caseta system.

    Now I have this problem:
    • 15% of the time, the lights turn on as usual, but take 2-3 seconds to come on. The highest level dimming is not that bright. I could live with this if this was how they always worked
    • 50% of the time, the lights don't come on at all. The led on the left side inches up to the top gets there and...nothing. I turn it off and back on 1-2 times and it finally comes on.
    • 35% of the time, the same thing happens as before, but they just don't come on at all. It doesn't matter how many times you turn them on and off they just won't turn on. If you leave it on, I've seen lights finally turn on some 15-30 minutes later


    My question: I don't know what type of recessed cans my electrician put in, but could the problem be with the transformers in those? Would the LUT-MLC help this situation? Any other ideas?

    I'm open to buying completely new bulbs or trim kits as long as they are reasonably high quality, and we know for sure they'll work well with Caseta! Love the system otherwise but this is brutal.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3
    I should mention that the entire house is wired using PD-6ANS. Did I need to use PD-5NE instead?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,657
    There are 3 parts to the system. All 3 have to be engineered to work together.

    Driver - similar to a ballast in a fluorescent system. The driver manufacturer should specify if the driver needs forward (PD-6WCL or PD-10NXD) or reverse phase (PD-5NE)
    LED - the chip itself
    Dimmer - the Caseta

    The PD-6ANS is a switch. It should only have 1 LED indicator on it.

    A group of lights should only have 1 control. If the foyer chandelier is switched from the front door and the top of the stair, you would put a dimmer in one location and a Pico remote in the other. Dimmers don't like to be dimmed. They will do weird things like you described.
    LED, Incorporated
    Raleigh, NC 27614

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,657
    Forgot about the cans...

    Some cans have an integral driver. That driver is made to work with specific LEDs. If they are not using the manufacturer specified LED, it will cause issues.

    Some have a screw-in socket. The driver and LED are part of the trim. Since the driver and LED come as a package from the manufacturer, that should not be an issue.
    LED, Incorporated
    Raleigh, NC 27614

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Forgot about the cans...

    Some cans have an integral driver. That driver is made to work with specific LEDs. If they are not using the manufacturer specified LED, it will cause issues.

    Some have a screw-in socket. The driver and LED are part of the trim. Since the driver and LED come as a package from the manufacturer, that should not be an issue.
    Thanks Randy - This is super helpful. I had copied the wrong model number down, I am using the dimmers not the switches. I only have 1 per circuit, with Picos on the other side.

    I'm thinking this is the issue, the cans likely have an integral driver which isn't playing nice.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mminasian View Post
    Thanks Randy - This is super helpful. I had copied the wrong model number down, I am using the dimmers not the switches. I only have 1 per circuit, with Picos on the other side.I'm thinking this is the issue, the cans likely have an integral driver which isn't playing nice.
    Has this been resolved? If so, let me know what you did? I am having a similar problem.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb111 View Post
    Has this been resolved? If so, let me know what you did? I am having a similar problem.
    I second this. I'm having the same problem. Did you ever get it resolved?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2020, 02:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-10-2018, 12:49 AM
  3. Transfer a programme to 100% takes hours of time in 10.3
    By swingajay in forum Programming - HWQS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2016, 05:43 PM
  4. RF Motion Sensor-How long till they turn off ?
    By para19 in forum General Discussion - RA2
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 11:06 AM
  5. P5 Processor - Super long time to boot
    By ndemarco in forum Troubleshooting - Legacy HW
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •