Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Halt Ghosting with PD-6WCL & LED Strip -- Is LUT-MLC applicable/compatible?

Halt Ghosting with PD-6WCL & LED Strip -- Is LUT-MLC applicable/compatible?

PRODUCT INSTALLED: New house electrician installed strip lighting and Dimmer Kit P-PKG1P-WH (with PD-6WCL Dimmer).

PROBLEM: The trim process won't remove all current to the strip LED, so it "ghost's" (won't completely shut off).

My research suggests that the installation of the capacitor-based LUT-MLC may resolve the issue.

The question I have: Is the LUT-MLC compatible with a PD-6WCL?

I found one post suggesting that the an "OK" from (Lutron) engineering was given to use the LUT-MLC on REVERSE PHASE dimmers (NOT just switches), like the PD-5NE. Hence, is the LUT-MLC Ok to use on Caseta Dimmer: PD-6WCL?

Research also suggests that another option would be to try a Caseta switch with a neutral. Any suggestions/recommendations to fully shut-off the light output are indeed welcomed.

Use LUT-MLC with PD-5NE (NOT with PD-6WCL)

For others with an issue similar to mine, after posting the above, I emailed the question to Lutron Support. The following response was received:

"Thank you for choosing Lutron products. We do not recommend using the LUT-MLC with the PD-6WCL." "I would suggest using the PD-5NE to get rid of the ghosting issues. Finally, all Caseta Wireless devices will still pass a small amount of current to your lighting load in the off position since they are digital controls." "The only way for it the completely shut off is by pulling the FASS. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Phil L.
    Technical Support

I tried the PD-5NE switches (four of them) with my ceiling fan LED lights with no luck. In the end, it was the LUT-MLC that finally solved my ghosting issues.

I should have tried the LUT-MLCs first. Would have saved a couple hundred bucks.