Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Two Lutron Occupancy Sensors for one light

Two Lutron Occupancy Sensors for one light

The basic scenario is, I have a traditional 3-way circuit that spans a long hallway. I would like to have a switch/sensor at each end of the hallway to allow the following:

• basic 3-way manual on/off function (human press of the rectangular switch)
    • motion detected from either sensor would close the circuit for as long as that switch is timed to stay on

I have a few of the MS-B102 occupancy sensor switches and was hoping to use them for the scenario outlined above. I have looked at the website and documentation and have found wiring diagrams which cover:

• 3-way switch scenario: one MS-B102 sensor and one mechanical switch
    • 3-way switch scenario: one MS-B102 sensor and one "companion" switch

Unfortunately, none of the above scenarios give me a direct answer to my question. I was hoping to find some concrete documentation pointing to possible success using two MS-B102 sensors in a 3-way switch circuit.

Before I go out and try it myself, I would greatly appreciate anyone with experience using only lutron maestro sensors in a 3-way switch circuit to respond and share what worked for them.

Thanks!

2. Likes Justin F. liked this post
    After thinking this through a bit more, I wondering if what I need is simply two switches wired in parallel to the same light so that either can turn on the light. Naturally, this would then mean the light can't be forced off by simply pressing the forced off button as indicated in requirement above [basic 3-way manual on/off function (human press of the rectangular switch)].

I would still like to hear about other's experiences if they have some wisdom to share about the traditional 3-way scenario as outlined in my original post.

4. Likes Justin F. liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello jmitch,
    Unfortunately, you can never have 2 in-wall wired occupancy/vacancy sensors wired into a 3-way application as they are both essentially "master" controls that will fight for control with one another and cause the lights to cycle on and off.

The best way to achieve what you are looking to do with your application would be to use our Vive Maestro Wireless in wall master switch (MRF2S-8S-DV?) at one side of the 3-way application and a Maestro companion switch (MA-AS) at the other side & then pair our Radio Powr Savr RF Battery powered Occupancy/Vacancy sensors to cover the hallway area and turn the lights on and off via the sensor.

There are several types of the Radio Powr Savr RF Battery powered Occupancy/Vacancy sensors that can mounted in different locations, please see the model numbers below:

1. LRF2-OCR2B-P-WH --> Ceiling-mounted occupancy/vacancy sensor
    2. LRF2-OHLB-P-WH? --> Hallway mount occupancy/vacancy sensor
    3. LRF2-OKLB-P-WH? --> ?Corner-mount occupancy/vacancy sensor
    4. LRF2-OWLB-P-WH --> Wall-mount occupancy/vacancy sensor

You might be able to get away with one Hallway mounted sensor that coves the length of the hallway and gets the job done or might find that using 2x Ceiling mounted sensors gives you better coverage.
    If you visit www.Lutron.com/support and input any of those model numbers I provided below, it will bring you to the facts and documentation page that will have lots of information on each of the products.

Hope this information helps!

-JustinF