Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Multiple switches for one light issue

Multiple switches for one light issue

I am replacing old lights and switches in a hallway. I have 6 switches that control one light. I have located and replaced the 3 way switch, 4 way switches, and added a 3 way dimmer for my other 3 way. I wired them exactly as the previous ones. Here is the issue:

The two 3 ways, switch and dimmer work perfectly. on and off with dimming. The 4 ways are dependent on one of the 3 ways being on. If either of the two 3 ways are off, none of the 4 ways work. If either of the two 3 ways are on, all the 4 way switches work as they should, but will not turn on the light independent from one of the 3 ways being turned on.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Likes Justin F. liked this post
    What family of dimmer are you using? Mechanical dimmers like Diva and Ariadni will work with existing 3-way/4-way switches. Electronic dimmers require a companion/remote dimmer are all 3-way/4-way locations.

I hate the wiring diagram that comes with the MACL-153 (electronic). If you call tech support you will get different answers from the "wallbox" and "Systems" (RR2, HomeWorks) groups. I have attached the wiring diagram for the RR2 CL dimmer. I have never had an issue when using this method. The big difference is that the power comes in on the black screw and goes out to the next device/load on the brass screw. The blue screw is used for communication. I normally use the red wire for this because it is easier to trace through the circuit.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/044332.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Thanks Justin F. thanked for this post
    Likes Justin F. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    What family of dimmer are you using? Mechanical dimmers like Diva and Ariadni will work with existing 3-way/4-way switches. Electronic dimmers require a companion/remote dimmer are all 3-way/4-way locations.

I hate the wiring diagram that comes with the MACL-153 (electronic). If you call tech support you will get different answers from the "wallbox" and "Systems" (RR2, HomeWorks) groups. I have attached the wiring diagram for the RR2 CL dimmer. I have never had an issue when using this method. The big difference is that the power comes in on the black screw and goes out to the next device/load on the brass screw. The blue screw is used for communication. I normally use the red wire for this because it is easier to trace through the circuit.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/044332.pdf
    T

Thanks for the response! You were spot on! I am using a Diva dimmer, and I finally figured out the 4 way in & out are different than the ones I replaced. In & out on the old 4 ways were on the side and the new ones were top and bottom, reversed two wires and they work perfectly now.
    Thanks again!!

6. Likes Justin F. liked this post