Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Missing Ground on RRD-10ND

Missing Ground on RRD-10ND

I have an RRD-10ND where the ground wire broke - it's too short to splice. What's the best way to ground this switch - can I use a grounding clip or something to ground it? I've seen other switches that have grounding clips that slip over the top / bottom of the front face - thinking something like that may work but I'm not sure what to search for...

You an try soldering a piece of wire to it.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I thought that I read somewhere that soldering could potentially damage the unit (heat)? My RRD-HNxBRL units have a clip that goes over the plastic at the top for grounding. Is there someplace where you can buy something like that?

I've run these without ground without an issue in my own home. Granted it was a free piece that I wasn't worried about a customer or warranty, but no issues. You could always crimp a small fork terminal onto the ground wire and land it under the screw that holds the device into the wall. Makes the connections you are looking for without potentially damaging the device.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

If it's the green wire attached to the 10ND; I've removed the green ground wire and replaced it. It is threaded through the metal bracket and you can remove the existing wire and replace it. It's a bit of a pain and the fork terminal might be an easier way to go but it is possible to replace the wire if you are obsessive compulsive (like me).

Virtually any way that you connect ground to the device's metal face bracket works. Ground clips, forked terminals under the mounting screw...they all do exactly the same thing as Lutron's integrated ground. (In cramped multi-gang boxes, I've removed all the Lutron grounds and used a single ground wire that runs behind each device's mounting screw.)