Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Can a remote switch (RD-RS) be used with a dimmer to toggle the load on/off?

Can a remote switch (RD-RS) be used with a dimmer to toggle the load on/off?

I have a scenario where I have a fully automated light - it's only turned on/off via a motion sensor, and the load is tied to an 8ANS. It has a RD-RS on the other side of the room (about 5 feet away).

I want to replace the 8ANS with a hybrid keypad so I can get a keypad in that location to add some scene functionality. I have no intentions of dimming the load, and the switches are never physically pressed to turn these lights on - it's in a back inside entryway area where the light comes on when the doors open or when motion is detected.

Do I have to replace the RD-RS with an RD-RD, or will the RD-RS still work to control the ON/OFF, but limit the functionality that I have in terms of dimming from the remote switch location? If it works, and I'm only limited in being able to dim the lights from the remote location, I'd be 100% fine with keeping the RD-RS installed...

Yes"...................
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    Yes"...................
    Thank you for your reply. I should have asked my question in a better way instead of asking if I needed to replace it or if I could keep the existing, because I'm not sure what you're saying 'Yes' to...

Can I keep the RD-RS installed, and use it to only turn the load on/off at the hybrid keypad?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dw886 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I should have asked my question in a better way instead of asking if I needed to replace it or if I could keep the existing, because I'm not sure what you're saying 'Yes' to...

Can I keep the RD-RS installed, and use it to only turn the load on/off at the hybrid keypad?

Thanks!
    Yeah, I actually did that by accident on my own house with a HomeWorks system so it works but pisses me off but cuz I didn't notice until after the fact. I just grabbed the wrong ones off the shelf in my shop. If I installed them in a customers home I would have changed them but I was too lazy to do the same in my own house.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    Yeah, I actually did that by accident on my own house with a HomeWorks system so it works but pisses me off but cuz I didn't notice until after the fact. I just grabbed the wrong ones off the shelf in my shop. If I installed them in a customers home I would have changed them but I was too lazy to do the same in my own house.
    Perfect - exactly the information that I needed to know! Thank you!

Make sure the load is dimmable. Every time I've seen a hybrid on a switched only load (usually fluorescent), the hybrid fails and needs replacement.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Using the 3-way wiring, you can move the 8ANS to the RS location. Then you have an open gang for a standard keypad.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

8. Likes gt3mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Using the 3-way wiring, you can move the 8ANS to the RS location. Then you have an open gang for a standard keypad.
    Have an electrician do this. If the keypad is downstream from the 8ANS, when the 8ANS turns off, you'll lose power to the keypad. You may have to get creative with the wiring to keep constant power to the KP. May have to bite the bullet and make the original 8ANS location to a two gang box and have the KP upstream of the 8ANS.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

10. Likes randyc liked this post