Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Have Lutron Caseta turn off light a set time after turning on

Question Have Lutron Caseta turn off light a set time after turning on

Hi,

I would like to set up a motion sensor (i.e. Smarthings, etc.) that triggers a Lutron Caseta in my garage. After a set period of time, say 60-seconds, I want the Caseta to turn itself off.

How can one go about triggering such a sequence?

I have spent time Googling this arrangement but it doesn't seem like there's an obvious solution.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Likes 920shawn liked this post
    You can use the Lutron app to track if your phone is connected to your wifi network at home. This can be used too only turn on or off lights... but not a timer. I would also like a timer setting for then I use the away setting on the app.

You need a 3rd party automation hub to create your desired automation. The Caseta bridge cannot do it on its own. SmartThings will do it. It integrates with Lutron Caseta via cloud. If you want full local control (works without internet) you need to use a Caseta Smart Bridge Pro that can communicate with 3rd party controllers via Telnet. The easiest and most cost effective one to use for full local control is Hubitat. Adding a Hubitat or SmartThings open up a lot of other automation possibilities as well.

Still need Lutron Caseta wall switch and Pico to be timer-like switches...

18 months have passed since the OP posted their question, plenty of time for the Lutron app to have evolved. I would like to set up a Lutron Caseta wall switch and Pico to be timer-like switches. After a set period of time from the "on" button being pressed, say 60-minutes for my usage, I want the Caseta to turn itself off (turn the lights off). It seems like this could easily be a feature of the app for any specific switch type of device, or even a firmware update for the existing hub if necessary. (I don't want to have to purchase and integrate a 3rd-party hub, like SmartThings, to do this.) Has Lutron added this feature to their app yet, or is there a programming "work-around" for doing this? If not, how can we add this to the Lutron "suggestion box" for Caseta improvements? Thanks!

You'd have to call Lutron on this. I know that RadioRA2 and Maestro dimmers have a "timer" feature, but only goes to about 1 minute. It was activated by pressing and holding the dimmer (probably the ON button on Caseta if it works) until the LED readout would start flashing. After the period, the dimmer or switch would turn itself off. I do not have any Caseta to try this on, so I am unsure if this works. You can always call tech support to ask.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Question

I am wishing to do the same thing. Automatically turn a light off after XXX minutes.Seems simple....Using the app v7.5.1 and Apple HomeKit.Any new info or advice before I shell out time and money to get a pro version, replace my old hub, and figure out this Hubitat just to turn a lights off for kids who don't listen to their parents?;)Thanks

workaround options

I know of a couple of options.

OP wrote:

> I would like to set up a motion sensor (i.e. Smarthings, etc.) that triggers a Lutron Caseta in my garage. After a set period of time, say 60-seconds, I want the Caseta to turn itself off.

This can be done with the Caseta motion sensor. The sensor itself has a timer, and will report occupancy for as long as it sees something + the timeout. You can configure it for 60s, 5 minutes, 15 minutes or 30 minutes. Button presses during this time will override the sensor, but as soon as it detects a change from occupancy to vacancy the timer will start and when the timer elapses the vacancy rules will kick in.

PMnedatkins wrote:

> I would like to set up a Lutron Caseta wall switch and Pico to be timer-like switches.

At this point I have over a dozen Cas switches, dimmers and sensors. I'm getting pretty familiar with the apparent limitations, and the inability to base a timer on a button press does seem to be one of them.

A couple of options:

1) If you don't actually need the notion of "occupancy", then replace the switch with a (far cheaper) non-caseta timer switch. It won't integrate with the rest of your system, but you probably don't need it to since you're putting a timer on it. However, I don't know how well that works 3-way, it might depend on the capabilities of the timer.

...... (I have used this technique at a home theater bar (single-pole, and where occupancy is not related to lighting needs) and I've been very happy with it.)

2) You can configure a Caseta sensor for "vacancy-only", so that pushing the button turns on the light, and so that the lights eventually turn off when vacancy is detected + the configured timeout.

...... (This would have been a problem in the home theater scenario because we're watching a movie, so those lights *need* to turn off and stay off when people are in the room. Unless someone pushes a button.)

Quote Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post
    Hi,

I would like to set up a motion sensor (i.e. Smarthings, etc.) that triggers a Lutron Caseta in my garage. After a set period of time, say 60-seconds, I want the Caseta to turn itself off.

How can one go about triggering such a sequence?

I have spent time Googling this arrangement but it doesn't seem like there's an obvious solution.

Many thanks in advance.
    I accomplished this with my Alexa and Ring integration. I put a motion sensor in the garage and when it senses motion it turns on the light, and when it doesn't sense motion for 15 minutes it turns off the light. I also did this for our kitchen, front hall etc.

I have learned that camera motion sensors are more sensitive than the Ring alarm motion sensor...but both work.

I wish I could have a Lutron switch itself have its own off timer! For example, I'd like the bathroom fan Lutron switch to auto turn off after 20 minutes. Unfortunately it won't do that. I can use Alexa to accomplish this though....but I have to use voice to turn the light on. Create a routine in Alexa and have a trigger be "Alexa turn on the bathroom fan". Then put in a trigger with a delay to turn it off. This only works with newer Echo devices.

I find Hubitat is the best third party integration but you do need to have a Lutron Hub Pro. This would be very easy to accomplish with that setup. All the traffic is local unlike Smarthings.