Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Caseta dimmer or caseta switch for outdoor lights?

Caseta dimmer or caseta switch for outdoor lights?

I figured I would do a Caseta switch (on/off) for my porch/garage exterior lights, so I never ended up with partially dimmed exterior lights. But my home is older and the porch required no neutral, so I did a dimmer on the porch and a on/off on the garage lights. I like how the porch slowly turns on, and while I can't imagine a scenario I would need to, I can always dim porch lights if needed. And since switches are the same price, I was thinking of running dimmers all around and relocating the on/off to a bathroom.

Are you guys running dimmers all around or just interior? Also, and I'm sure its a simple budget question, do you have bath exhaust fans on Caseta or just a traditional toggle? We have 6 bathrooms so that's another $300, but I need to order wall plates and figure now is the time to do it. Are you running dimmers or on/off in hallway? I guess the question is what is advantage to on/off for lights, maybe there isn't one? Lastly, my kitchen chandalier has (30) 25W bulbs, so 750W, wife doesn't want LED on this fixture, any Caseta option above 600w?

PS - I assume Pico remotes tethered to a dimmer don't count towards the 50 device limitation?

I dim everything.

I use the non-system Maestro timers for bath fans.

If you don't register the Pico in the Caseta system, it does not count towards the limit.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I dim everything.

If you don't register the Pico in the Caseta system, it does not count towards the limit.
    I added a few Picos for a four way setup. They have not been assigned in app but on the app they’re listed as “unnamed PICO 1” and “unnamed PICO 2” under “my home.” These do not count to 50 device limit?

Lutron Technical Support
    MOD220, If the Picos are in the app, they count towards the 50 device limit of the Caseta system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    MOD220, If the Picos are in the app, they count towards the 50 device limit of the Caseta system.
    I’m confused, it was my understanding only dimmers counted towards 50 limit. And Pico only counted if you registered them as a switch in app, like to control a bulb directly. I have not added these Picos as devices, but once I linked them to dimmer they show up in app. How could you have a Pico that does not show up in app?

I dim everything.

How can you use a Pico without registering it? I don’t want to control Pico from app, since they all are tethered to dimmers, but when I delete them from the app they no longer work when I press buttons.

Lutron Technical Support
    Once the dimmer has been added to the Caseta app, it will no longer be controllable by a Pico unless that Pico has also been added to the app.

You have 2 options:
    1. Remove the dimmer from the app and only operate it from the Pico(s).
    2. Have both the dimmer and Pico(s) in the app, where each device counts as an address towards the 50 device limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Once the dimmer has been added to the Caseta app, it will no longer be controllable by a Pico unless that Pico has also been added to the app.

You have 2 options:
    1. Remove the dimmer from the app and only operate it from the Pico(s).
    2. Have both the dimmer and Pico(s) in the app, where each device counts as an address towards the 50 device limit.
    This makes no sense, I never added any PICO's to the app, I only added dimmers to the app, and the picos show up under "my home" on their own. When I deleted those from the app (I dont need app control since I have control of tethered dimmer), they no longer function. So if you are saying to delete the dimmer from the app, I assume, it too will lose all of its functionality. This will really suck if all the devices hit the 50 number. I will have well over 100 total devices, but was my understanding only the dimmers and wall plugs would count (I'll have 40 of those), as those are the only things I need in the app. I had read only PICO's needed as the dimmer (i.e. controlling Hue bulb), needed to be in app and count to 50.

Please clarify how I can have a Pico not registered? I have not registered any of the PICOs, but once tethered to a dimmer they show up.