Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: "Sivoia QS" versus "QED QS" & extending existing system

"Sivoia QS" versus "QED QS" & extending existing system

Hi,

First time posting... thank you in advance.

I am a homeowner and I am in the process pre-wiring in order to add some extra blinds to an installation that was carried out late 2010. I am trying to figure out what I have installed in order to pre-wire correctly. In particular, I am trying to understand if i can add some new "Sivoia QS" blinds to my existing system.

I have 2 questions:

1. I have a quote from the original installer (now sadly no longer in business) that specifies, "QED QS 64 System Motorized shades". I understand that QED might refer to Sivoia QED...? which is now legacy and no longer available. However, when I check the documentation I received from the installer, the instructions are for "Sivoia QS". When I look at the transformer, it is a QSPS-P1-10-60, which seems to conform to what is current for Sivoia QS. When I look at the wall switch, it is QSWS2-2BRLI-WH, which, again, appears to be current for Sivoia QS. Unfortunately when I look at the motors themselves, I cannot see any label; the label that should be on the little pigtail seems to have been removed. That said, looking at the end where the shade limits are set on the motor, it *looks* like what I see in the Sivoia QS documentation. From all of this, I infer I have a Sivoia QS system... is that a fair assumption? (again, installed in 2010)

2. Assuming I do indeed have a Sivoia QS system (yay!), I am trying to figure out if i need to pre-wire for a second wall switch. Right now, I have blinds in two separate locations - a bedroom and the main living area. In both locations, the wall switch is QSWS2-2BRLI-WH and in both cases, the wire from that wall switch does not connect back to the transformer but is spliced into the first pigtail on the blinds in that location. Those blinds are connected into the QSPS-P1-10-60 transformer. In one case it is a single connection with 2 blinds daisy chained. In the second case, there are 2 home runs for 4 blinds. I am in the process of pre-wiring in order to add 3 more on an adjacent wall in the living area, which has a wall switch spliced into one of 4 existing blinds. I am a little unclear how the blinds are "addressed" from the wall switch. I am fine with the blinds all opening and closing together. The question is: do I need to add a home run for a new switch or can i assume the existing wall switch will work?

I appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,
    John

Lutron Technical Support
    To answer your questions:

1. Take a look at the connector where the house wires connect to the shade.
    - If it's a 7-pin connector, it's a Sivoia QED shade.
    - If it's a 4-pin connector, it's a Sivoia QS shade.

2. If these are QS shades and a QS keypad, you can use the existing keypad to control all of the shades at once. If you want more individual control, you would use some more keypads.

Here is our QS shade power supply and wiring guideline: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...Guidelines.pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    To answer your questions:

1. Take a look at the connector where the house wires connect to the shade.
    - If it's a 7-pin connector, it's a Sivoia QED shade.
    - If it's a 4-pin connector, it's a Sivoia QS shade.

2. If these are QS shades and a QS keypad, you can use the existing keypad to control all of the shades at once. If you want more individual control, you would use some more keypads.

Here is our QS shade power supply and wiring guideline: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...Guidelines.pdf.
    Thank you!

Lutron put a sticker on the shade somewhere which has the order number. You may have to run the shade all the way down to find it. This will help inn determining what the fabric is. It will also help Lutron with IHA settings.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the tip, Randy - I'll take a look.