Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reaching 50 devices need advice

Reaching 50 devices need advice

I'll be honest, I never thought I would reach this point so I totally forgot about the 50 device limit (my bad, I should have realized this could happen when I started and gone with a solution other than Lutron). I love the system but I have a few more switches left that I would love to add (I just purchased them before remembering the limit) that would put me about 12 switches over the maximum. Right now my system is integrated with Alexa and Homekit. Are there any options to get around the 50 switch limit? I am ok with running two hubs if that is what it takes and I am ok if Alexa can only control the main part of the house (I understand Alexa can only be logged into one Caseta account). I am ok so long as I can use Siri to control the switches on both hubs (I read this can be done). If not, I'll just return the switches I bought recently and eventually start looking for a different solution than Lutron. I understand they have RA2, but from what I've read here, you have to hire an installer, which isn't going to happen, so its a non-starter for me. Plus I don't feel like giving Lutron my money twice.

Thanks for any help.

I run two hubs with about 70 devices, all controllable via Echo devices. I connect one group of lights on the hub directly to the Echo skills. Then the second hub runs through a Samsung Smart Things hub and that in turn connects to the Echo devices through the Samsung skill. Echo devices see them as as unique devices and can be operated and grouped together with the Echo devices. Works well. Wish it was one hub, but not a big deal as I do not use the Lutron app for much, and have the most commonly grouped devices that I need to access on the same hub that is directly connected to the Echo devices. In short, get another Lutron hub and a SmartThings hub and you will be able to go to 100 devices.

3. Thanks rroswelljr, rhett7660 thanked for this post
    Thanks for the info. I don't use the Lutron app other than when there is a problem with Homekit or Alexa. One question, I assume that I will need to turn off my current hub while registering new devices to the new hub and Lutron account?

5. Thanks rhett7660 thanked for this post
    Nope. Just make sure you are logged in to the new hub with the second account and add devices from the phone app logged in to that second hub account.

7. Thanks rroswelljr thanked for this post
    I too am approaching the limit of 50, and wanted to know if you could pair a Maestro dimmer with a Caseta dimmer on a three way? I was planning on running PICOs on all my 3/4-ways, but to free up some space on the 50 limit, thought maybe replace Pico with Maestro where wiring is in place. I would then only use Pico for 3/4way that needs to be done remote since there is not wiring. Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
    I too am approaching the limit of 50, and wanted to know if you could pair a Maestro dimmer with a Caseta dimmer on a three way? I was planning on running PICOs on all my 3/4-ways, but to free up some space on the 50 limit, thought maybe replace Pico with Maestro where wiring is in place. I would then only use Pico for 3/4way that needs to be done remote since there is not wiring. Would that work?
    Nope. Caseta dimmers are single-pole. I actually did away with all of my 3/ways (I have no 4 ways) and placed one PICO in each area/room that acts as a master switch for the entire area/room. For instance, in my master bedroom, I have 8 switches and I have one PICO at the entrance to the room that will turn on or off the entire room.

crap, I read you can use a Caseta Pro with toggles in a 3 way setup, any idea of the pro allows pairing with Maestro in 3 way?

Remember also that the benefit to this system is that it can be integrated with a personal assistant so turning on/off lights becomes a simple voice command. It took time but my family mostly uses voice commands with Alexa instead of the switches. So any convenience you give up by getting rid of a 3/4 way you get back from using a personal assistant.

Thanks. we already have wiring in place and I don't want junction boxes or covers, so I'm just going to use the PICOs in common areas and will likely just do maestro in bedrooms/baths.

Sorry, with the Pro you can do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast