Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Noise/high pitch/buzz coming from LED lamps

Noise/high pitch/buzz coming from LED lamps

Hi there. I am an end user and I've just finished building a house that is fully automated with Lutron Homeworks:
    - 16 grafik eye QS6 and QS4
    - 7 seetouch 6-buttons WH QS
    - 18 keypads
    - 1 homeworks processors with 2 links
    - 1 connected bridge
    - and so on

Overall I am pretty satisfied with the final result but I've noticed recently (majorly at night before getting to bed when things are more quiet) that the LED dichroic lamps are making a high pitch buzz/noise that is aggravated when I dim the lights to low levels (usually ~20%) -- at 100% the noise is audible by a couple of meters and gets even more noticeable when dimming.

Firstly I thought that it could be an issue with some of the lamps so I bought one lamp from a different brand to test it and the noise/buzz was still there, slightly lower compared to the first lamp though. I then asked the electrician that worked in the house construction to connect the lamp straight to the power outlet circuit (not automated) and voilá, the buzz/noise is gone for both lamps leading me to conclude that whatever issue I have is Lutron related.

I am struggling to get support from the local installer that sold me the whole thing so I would like to check for some help with you.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't say Lutron per se' but dimming. Do you have dimmers or RPM dimming modules? Even incandescent lamps buzz when dimmed to some degree.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/dimmer-switch3.htm

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Company-...atibility.aspx
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Check lutron.com\led to find LEDs that have been tested with the Grafik Eyes.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    I wouldn't say Lutron per se' but dimming. Do you have dimmers or RPM dimming modules? Even incandescent lamps buzz when dimmed to some degree.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/dimmer-switch3.htm

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Company-...atibility.aspx

Thanks for answering. Not sure if I got this right, but the model of the equipment is QSGRJ-6P (Grafik Eye). I believe the Grafik Eye is a dimmer.

Thanks much.

I guess Grafik eye QS6 is dimmer beforehand only. Buzzing sound, on the other hand, could be only because of the low Voltage supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Larisaa View Post
    I guess Grafik eye QS6 is dimmer beforehand only. Buzzing sound, on the other hand, could be only because of the low Voltage supply.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. Can you please clarify what you mean by "low voltage supply"?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello Velosso77,
    The best way to find compatible LED bulbs that will be free of audible buzzing for your Grafik Eye would be to use Lutron's LED Product Selection Tool @ http://www.Lutron.com/LEDTool.

To generate a list of LED bulbs for the Grafik Eye QS using this tool:

• Under the Fixture/Lamp Type, you will select "Whichever lamp style you are looking for"
    • Under the Lutron Control, you will select the "GRAFIK Eye QS" option
    • You can leave the Control Technology and Manufacturer as they are.
    • Under the Input Voltage section, ensure that your input voltage is the only box selected.
    • Click on the orange Search button to generate the list of compatible LED bulbs.

If you click on any of the model numbers generated using this tool it will take you to the LED report card which will notate in the comments section if audible buzzing was detected.

-JustinF