Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pairing Each Pico *Button* to Different Switches

Pairing Each Pico *Button* to Different Switches

Is it possible to pair each button of a Pico with a different switch? My goal is to turn on one switch with the Pico's ON button, but turn off multiple switches with the OFF button.

I understand how this can be done with the Smart Bridge Pro 2 + HomeKit + triggered scenes, but my long experience with HomeKit has proven to me it's not reliable enough (yet!) for this application.

You can do that with the Scene Pico remotes with just the Smart Hub (the Pro is not needed) and Lutron App.

With the Scene Picos, each button is programmed separately in the app. I have the Home/Away, Alert/Goodnight, and Bright/Entertain/Relax/Off scene picos.

Larry in TN
    You mention that you are using the 2 Button Home / Away and Alert / Goodnight Picos. I was hoping to use one of those in my application, near my entry door. HOME Button would trigger certain scene / devices upon arriving home. AWAY Button would take ALL devices / switches to OFF. I was told repeatedly by Lutron Techs that the 2 Button Picos, can only be assigned to a Group of devices. and the OFF button is MANDATORY OFF.

For my application, I had to go with a 4 Button Scene Custom Engraved Pico. HOME / NIGHT / RELAX / AWAY. Not cheap, functional, looks great, and works. The new versions work perfectly, ALL 4 Buttons are Programable now.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNied View Post
    I was told repeatedly by Lutron Techs that the 2 Button Picos, can only be assigned to a Group of devices. and the OFF button is MANDATORY OFF.
    That's not true at all. In fact, my [AWAY] button turns on two lights in addition to turning off a bunch of others.

Here are some screenshots from my Lutron app showing the programming for my Home/Away Pico.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181101-115400.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181101-115411.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181101-115445.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181101-115457.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	831

5. Thanks JohnNied, swigger101 thanked for this post
    This is what drives me crazy. Lutron Tech Support doesn't even fully know their products. I purchased one of the 4 Button Scene Relax Picos, to see if what I had read in the Lutron Forums was correct, about the bottom button really being programable. when I tried it and programmed it and knew that it would fulfill my requirements I ordered 2 more Relax Picos, 2 Movie Picos and 1 Kitchen Pico.

When it came to my Entry / Foyer Pico, I called Tech Support. I got into a huge argument with the person. He kept telling me that the bottom button on the 4 scene picos was Mandatory Off. I told him that it wasn't. I have one in front of me that I've had for 2 weeks and it does EXACTLY what I need. I need to know if the 2 button pico works the same way. I was told NO. My only option was to order a 4 Button Scene Custom Engraved Pico.

Yeah, the lack of information is frustrating. It's too bad that this forum doesn't get more traffic. Too many questions go unanswered or the answers take a long time.

I replaced a whole-house X10 system based (mostly) on PCS switches and a JDS TimeCommander automation controller. I'd been using X10 since the mid-1980s. The reliability of the Caseta system is great but, like you, I had to order a few test units to really find out how it worked and what devices would work for me.

Full Agreement with you. Most of my CORRECT information, has come from these Forums and from Customer Service at Lutron, NOT Tech Support. I just wish I would have known about the programability of the 2 Button Pico for my Entry. The 4 Button Scene Custom Engraved is definitely OVERKILL, for my application.

I installed my entire Casetá System about 2 months ago. Every single light in my apartment is on the system. Architectural, ambient, task, spot, closet, bathroom, decor lighting. I'm very happy with it. I use the Lutron App on my iPhone / iPad extensively for control.
    Casetá System

18 - Dimmers
    3 - Lamp Modules
    1 - Switch
    22 Devices Total

3 - Regular Picos
    1 - 4 Button Kitchen Pico
    3 - 4 Button Relax Picos
    2 - 4 Button Movie Picos
    1 - 4 Button Custom Engraved Pico
    10 Picos Total

1 - Single Pedestal
    2 - Double Pedestal
    1 - Triple Pedestal

I don't have the entire house on Caseta but most of it.

26 - Switches/Dimmers/Lamp Modules
    18 - Picos including 3 Relax, 1 home/away, 1 alert/goodnight, and 1 audio
    4 - Pedestals (2 single, 1 double, 1 triple)

I plan to add two Ecobee thermostats but haven't gotten around to that yet.

I have pretty much every switch on Caseta except the bathrooms, closets, laundry room, and garage. Most of my outside lights are on Honeywell RPLS740B (solar timer). Only one is on Caseta and that's because it was added after the house was built and the switch is not in a convenient location. The Caseta lets me use a Pico for manual control from a convenient location with a Schedule controlling the dusk/dawn automatic operation. I wouldn't mind putting all the outdoor lights on Caseta but that would put me over the 50 device limit.

I'm afraid I'm a little addicted to the Picos. Very handy, they are. We also use voice control quite a bit, too. We have a number of Sonos One speakers (which have Alexa voice control), two Echo Dots, and an Echo Spot. Very handy the way you can create groups in the Alexa app so you can say "Alexa, lights on" in the kitchen and she knows that you mean the kitchen lights because the kitchen Echo is in the same group as the kitchen lights.

It's funny, when I first saw the Audio Pico I didn't think I'd have any use for it. Then I added a Sonos Connect:Amp and outdoor speakers to extend the Sonos system to our back deck. The Audio Pico is in the switch panel by the door to the deck and gives you basic control of that audio zone if you don't have your app handy.

I will say one thing. Whoever is in charge of this Forum, is ON TOP OF THINGS.
    On your Profile Page there's line that asked "Systems Owned". Caseta was not listed, only the High End RadioRA and HomeWorks were listed. I sent a message to Lutron Forums Support, and it has since been updated. Caseta and others are now listed.

Im very Impressed.

I've been reading up on this as I slowly start to invest and figure out what I need. The entire Pico remote programming and part numbers is totally confusing. Enough so that the description "2 button pico remote" doesn't actually describe a product with a single set of functions.

Part numbers I see are:
    • PJ2-2B-XXX-P01
    • PJ2-2B-XXX-P02
    • PJ2-2B-XXX-L01
    • PJ2-2B-XXX-L02
    • PJ2-2B-XXX-S08

Where XXX is the color.

I haven't tried them, but from reading this is what I think it means:
    • PJ2-2B-XXX-P01 and PJ2-2B-XXX-P02 are "Pico Scene Keypads" with the ability to program each button to control a variety of lights. Scenes defined for the pico directly NOT scenes defined for the smart bridge. As shown in Larry's screen shots.
    • PJ2-2B-XXX-L01, PJ2-2B-XXX-L02, PJ2-2B-XXX-S08 are "Pico Wireless Control" where the programming is to assign devices to the pico not the buttons and the bottom button is always off.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge sees this and can confirm it.

I can easily see where talking to someone from tech support and they hear "2 button pico remote" and then assume it's one of PJ2-2B-XXX-L01, PJ2-2B-XXX-L02, PJ2-2B-XXX-S08 with the limitations those have. What should happen is that support should know that there are different parts with different capabilities and ask for the specific part number.

The 4 button remotes look like they have similar differences. With only the "Pico Scene Keypads" allowing the more flexible programming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast