Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL-WH - LED panel light pulses every second when turned

PD-6WCL-WH - LED panel light pulses every second when turned

The behavior I see is when you click the on button the lights strobe/pulse ever second.
    If instead of turning on you first click the bright button once, wait a half second for the lowest dim level to kick in, then click on, everything works fine.
    If you click off then on again quickly everything still works fine.

I've tried adjusting the low level trim but it doesn't help.

I'm trying to find out whether this is a compatibility problem between the wireless dimmer and the lights.
    We had a contractor install everything so I haven't seen how the wiring was done yet.

All I can find about the lights:
    https://www.energystar.gov/productfi...etails/2293742
    https://www.amazon.ca/Recessed-Dimma...rds=B07B6VBGRD

I've read about CL vs ELV dimmers. Not sure I understand whether that will help at all.

Yes I am total noob at this. Hoping someone might recognize "QPlus" or be able to give me some pointers.

thank you

CL dimmers are forward phase (leading edge). ELV dimmers are reverse phase (trailing edge). It is a reference to where on the AC sine wave the dimming takes place.

In the LED world you will have to match the dimming technique to the driver. I couldn't find any technical data on the Qplus fixtures to indicate which method to use.

You should contact the manufacturer and ask them. Also ask for a list of dimmers they have tested with the fixture. If they can't provide the info, return them.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the info. The "manufacturer" if this is really them, http://www.qplusled.com/index.php/en...ch-6w-dimmable,
    Lists "LED lights are compatible with silicone-controlled rectifier type dimmer, ..."
    Which doesn't sounds like anything I've read about the Lutron dimmers. So my assumption is they are not compatible.
    I've seen mention in other posts on this forum about a
    lutmlc-lut which has helped with similar issues.
    Frankly seems like a hack to me and I'd rather everything works out of the box so I'm talking to the contractor about changing them.

Our contractor swapped them out with these: https://www.liteline.com/20000067-ma...ssed-downlight
    I know they're not listed on the compatibility tool but they do work perfectly in terms of no flicker and dimming levels.

Unfortunately I am the only one so far that hears a slight humming sound coming from the lights. Some more than others. Is this just how it turns out sometimes with the CL dimmers?

Liteline says compatible with TRIAC/ELV, forward or reverse phase dimmers. They list these as compatible Lutron dimmers: DV600, D-600P, DVELV-300P, SELV-300P, NTELV-300, NTELV-600, MAELV-600, MRF2-6ND-120.
    Since they mention ELV in specs and dimmer compatibility is there a good chance if I switch to a Lutron PD-5NE the humming will go away? Assuming I even have a neutral which I still have to confirm.

Just wanted to mention in case anyone has the same issue.

I switched the dimmers from PD-6WCL to PD-5NE and it's like night and day. No high pitched humming sound, no flicker or strange dimming issues.

In my opinion just buy the more expensive dimmers and save yourself the headaches.