Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Correct Lutron dimmer for magnetic MR 16 led circuit

Correct Lutron dimmer for magnetic MR 16 led circuit

I have a 7 light circuit of 12 volt magnet transformer lights with MR 16 leds. Each of the 7 ceiling lights has a built in 120v to 12v magnetic transformer. I am switching from halogen to leds and I wish to know what type of Lutron dimmer to use. I prefer to use the Diva line of dimmers. Would the Diva 600 watt magnet dimmer work?

I would not recommend MR16 LEDs on a magnetic transformer designed for incandescent MR16s. LEDs do some things that will be amplified by the magnetic transformer. Magnetic Transformers designed to work with LEDs have additional circuitry to compensate (which is why they are called drivers).

You can try the DVLV-600 but I would put the chances of it working at 5-10%.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hello Leehelp,

Thank you for your post!

Dimming MR16 LEDs can be a big issue since they are all being manufactured differently, and so the dimming performance will vary greatly from one to the next. Many LEDs on the market (including ones labeled as dimmable) have issues when placed on dimming controls. On top of that, MR16 LEDs are generally one of the toughest types of LED to dim. The issue with these lamps is due to the interdependencies between the lamp, transformer, and dimmer. Only certain transformers work OK on a given LED MR16 and even then, only certain dimmers will work. Also, the MR16 lamps generally have some shimmer as you dim down.

All of our recommendations can be found on the following application note. Anything outside of this application note is considered untested, and therefore we are unable to guarantee LED compatibility in those applications. The first page is our MLV recommendations.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/048559.pdf

Hope this helps!

Julia K.