Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lutron dimmer switches stopped working suddenly

Lutron dimmer switches stopped working suddenly

HELP! I do not know how to find the model number of my system, but I have several dimmer switches that have an on off position and a sliding bar next to it to control the dim. These switches normally glow slightly as a night-light when in the off position. The two switches that control the overhead kitchen lights have suddenly ceased to function after several years without any problem. The switches control 6 overhead lights, but none of them come on when the switch is moved at either of the two locations, and neither location is glowing when in the off position. For the record, there are other switches next to the ones that are not working, and these other switches work and glow just fine.

Please point me in a direction for help! Thank you!

Hello cmoreman,

Thank you for your post!

From the information you have provided it appears the dimmer has either met its lifetime or the bulbs have all gone out at the same time. Have you tried replacing a lamp first? If not we would recommend doing this, just to make sure it isn't a lamp issue.

Additionally, what is the model number of this dimmer? You will also find on the front facing metal yoke in the bottom left hand corner a letter followed by two numbers (example: I26), what is your letter number combination?

Our dimmers are designed to just stopping working when they are damaged internally or meeting the end of their life. The lifetime of a dimmer can very depending on the usage of the dimmer, power supply coming in (this means the power the electric company supplies, sometimes it can be "dirty" with slight voltage oscillations or even line noise) (some circuits can get voltage drops/surges, while others do not), number of times bulbs are replaced (sometimes when a bulb goes out it can create a small surge that over time can shorten the lifetime of the dimmer), how they were originally wired (aka wired live or not), etc.

Overall, it appears your dimmer might have met the end of its life, however we need additional information to confirm this.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Julia K.